HIGH LATENCY ON ASUS MACHINE HARD DRIVE ACCESS

More
08 Sep 2011 22:24 #13057 by NICKKINSMAN
I have a new Asus motherboard runnign EMC2. I get high latency test results whenever I seem to hit the hard drive (during the test, such as opening folders). (extremely high, in the 200,k's) What could be the reason for this and how can I go about fixing it?

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Sep 2011 22:42 #13058 by andypugh
NICKKINSMAN wrote:

I get high latency test results whenever I seem to hit the hard drive

What sort of HDD is it?

An EMC2 machine doesn't need much HD. I develop EMC2 on a machine with 8GB. A basic installation to just run a machine can fit in 4GB.
So, you might find that the machine is usable with a flash drive of some sort.

I have heard that some newer boards have problems with latency when running IDE (perhaps it has been moved into software)

So far my SATA DOM SSD has done over a year of several EMC2 compiles every day with no signs of failure. And it was quite cheap.
It is one of these (www.ebay.com/itm/Black-MLC-Flash-DOM-Dis...TA-SSD-/150593568661)

More
09 Sep 2011 19:01 #13075 by NICKKINSMAN
Thanks;

So I asusme you are meaning use this drive as the hard drive for the computer. The computer is dedicated to the machine so I don't have any other need for it. I will check the type of hard drive, I have to pull it out of the control box.

I'm not sure of your reference to IDE, what to do about that?

Thanks!

More
12 Sep 2011 11:48 #13117 by andypugh
NICKKINSMAN wrote:

'm not sure of your reference to IDE, what to do about that?!

Well, if it is the problem, you could try not using it.
Of course, depending on the type of HD you might not be using it, hence the first part of the question.

More
12 Sep 2011 20:31 #13141 by NICKKINSMAN
In answer to the questions;

I have a Barracuda 7200.10 hard drive, 750 GB (WOW!) :ohmy:

It was the drive which came with the machine, would it be just that the size of the HD and accessing it is causing such a high latency?

Comments?

Thanks for getting back to me!

More
12 Sep 2011 21:22 #13145 by andypugh

More
13 Sep 2011 10:34 #13157 by Rick G
On the hard drive label you should see the interface type . SATA is the newer standard. Uses small compact cables.
IDE (PATA) is the older it uses the wide ribbon cable.

There have been other post suggesting that the older style on some motherboards might be causing the problem.

Rick G

More
25 Sep 2011 16:07 #13438 by NICKKINSMAN
I finally got around to checking, it is a SATA hard drive. I'm guessing it still must be the problem - as soon as you hear the hard drive in use, the latency numbers jump way up.

Time to create page: 0.101 seconds