Tool setting

More
15 Jul 2013 07:40 #36652 by CliveFouche
Tool setting was created by CliveFouche
I have just purchased the Sherline CNC package and I want to set up multiple tools for the lathe but am having real difficulty. Nothing is working.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jul 2013 09:56 - 15 Jul 2013 09:57 #36653 by cmorley
Replied by cmorley on topic Tool setting
hmm not much to go on there...
like telling the mechanic the car won't start what is it? :)

Are you using AXIS screen or Mini ? If it's the software that came from the Sherline factory it might be Mini.
If it's AXIS, look here:
www.linuxcnc.org/docs/2.5/html/lathe/lathe-user.html
If it''s Mini - you should probably change.
Mini doesn't cater to lathes very well, nor is it actively developed/upgraded

Chris M
Last edit: 15 Jul 2013 09:57 by cmorley.

More
15 Jul 2013 12:15 #36656 by CliveFouche
Replied by CliveFouche on topic Tool setting
That document link looks helpful so I will give it a bash. I am using Axis. I keep seeing INI Configuration section of the Integrator Manual. Where is this?
Thanks
Clive

More
15 Jul 2013 17:21 #36662 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic Tool setting
Hi

Easiest to look at the on-line docs rather than the .pdfs

The specific bit you wanted is here
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.5/html/config/ini_config.html

and
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.5/html/
will get you the index of the whole thing

regards

More
16 Jul 2013 04:59 #36686 by CliveFouche
I have looked at the links and am none the wiser. What is an INI file and where do I find it. Sherline have given me four screens, Lathe inch, Lathe mm, Mill inch and Mill mm. All I want to achieve at this point is to get two tools to run in a program with out crashing the job. None of the documentation I have been given or downloaded has given me a straight answer. I have tried following the instructions and nothing works. Writing a CNC G code program is easy as I have done hundreds. Tool setting with this system is turning out to be a bit of a pig.

More
16 Jul 2013 06:25 - 16 Jul 2013 07:02 #36687 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Tool setting
Deleted my response, Chris has a much better reply.

JT
Last edit: 16 Jul 2013 07:02 by BigJohnT.

More
16 Jul 2013 06:44 #36688 by cmorley

I have looked at the links and am none the wiser. What is an INI file and where do I find it. Sherline have given me four screens, Lathe inch, Lathe mm, Mill inch and Mill mm. All I want to achieve at this point is to get two tools to run in a program with out crashing the job. None of the documentation I have been given or downloaded has given me a straight answer. I have tried following the instructions and nothing works. Writing a CNC G code program is easy as I have done hundreds. Tool setting with this system is turning out to be a bit of a pig.

The INI file is a text file inside your configuration folder. There will be several text files in there - look for the one ending in .ini
Your config folder is under your home folder either in linuxcnc/configs or emc/configs and that depends on what version of linuxcnc you are using.
Hopefully it's in the linuxcnc/config folder

How have you tried to set your tools so far?
How did you expect it to work?

Chris M

More
16 Jul 2013 07:51 #36690 by CliveFouche
I have used the information in the Lathe User Information. I have homed both axis. I have called up tool 1 using T1 M6 and touched off for tool 1. I then ran a small cycle in MDI and everything works. I have then called T2 M6 and touched off, run a small cycle which works. I then call T1 M6 and run a cycle and the positions are all wrong. I am touching off using the Tool Table in the touch off screen. I have looked at the Tool Table and noted the tool offsets and the distances match the error. I seem to be missing something here and it seems that I have to strip my brain of all previous CNC experience and start from scratch. Previously the offsets I have loaded on other machines have been read by the T command and applied and everything works. This is what I am expecting here as the numbers add up but are not being applied. I have had issue where I have called T2 and an error message has said there is no T2. I shut the machine down and restarted and that went away. The problem here, I am sure, is me. I have used a G7 to run in diameter mode which works.

More
16 Jul 2013 09:07 #36692 by cmorley
Yes the T command does not add the offset. you must issue G43.

And yes it sucks that it doesn't work like industrial lathes.
You also can't call alternative offsets from the T number (like T0102 tool 1 offset 2) you use G43 H2

There has been some work to change this behaviour, but it is not included yet.

Let us know if that in fact was the problem.

John could you add the fact that G43 is needed in the Lathe User Info section?

Chris M

More
16 Jul 2013 12:29 #36694 by CliveFouche
Now we are cooking with gas.

Time to create page: 0.178 seconds