turning a 3-axis machine into a 5-axis

More
25 Jun 2013 11:20 #36021 by Nenad
I was wondering whether someone can recommend a controller board that I can use to turn my 3 axis machine into 5 axis. When I search for 5 axis controller board only one product pops up: TB6560.
According to this website it sucks and it needs fixing:
www.homediystuff.com/fixing-a-chinese-ma...-board-tb6560-chips/

I would perfer to buy something that doesn't requre fixing. Is there another one in the simliar price range?

Thanks,
Nenad

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jun 2013 16:33 #36033 by ArcEye
Hi

Yes I would avoid the TB6560.

If you already have a 3 axis board working perfectly well, I would just leave it alone, fit a PCI parport card and run a second 3 axis card from that, just using 2 of the axes.

You will just need to duplicate some of the settings from you existing config, but using parport.1. instead of parport.0
Just depends exactly what the extra 2 axes are doing, rotary spindle and live tooling or whatever.

Don't try to use stepconf to do it, just take the plunge save the originals as a backup and open the ini and hal files in gedit

If you get stuck someone will soon be able to put you on the right path

regards
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nenad

More
26 Jun 2013 09:37 #36059 by Nenad
Thank you for the explanation but I am a novice at this cnc tinkering so it doesn't mean much to me. I can use the wizard in the linux cnc program to configure a new machine. I don't know what I should change in the ini file.
This is what i found:
www.ebay.com/itm/5-AXIS-CNC-DRIVER-BOARD...sd%3D290933387631%26

I don't now who makes this nor where to find reviews for this thing. It may be the soltuion I am looking for as it makes sense: 1 board, 5 criver. The seller didn't answer my questions so I assume that he either has no idea or the product is not good so he keeps quiet and just sells it.

More
26 Jun 2013 15:53 #36065 by ArcEye
Hi

That 'board' is a breakout board and a number of individual driver boards that plug in
The drivers only handle 2.5A max, which is pretty low and only suitable for smaller motors
It only makes sense if you have a very small machine and have a use for the other 3 axis driver you already have.

If the seller won't answer queries, I would walk away.

I can use the wizard in the linux cnc program to configure a new machine.

You can't, that is my point. Stepconf will only output XYZA configs max, so you will still have to edit it by hand anyway.

It is entirely down to you, we can assist whichever way you go, if we have the info as to exactly what you are trying to do and what the equipment pin outs etc are

regards

More
26 Jun 2013 17:10 #36066 by Rick G
You can also look at the sample configurations for examples of how to set up extra axis and ideas. There is a 9 axis there.

Rick G

More
26 Jun 2013 19:25 #36073 by BigJohnT
The Mesa 5i25 and 7i76 will do 5 axis and is a very good setup. You still need stepper drives but if you have them now for 3 axis you just need to add a couple more.

JT

More
26 Jun 2013 19:32 #36074 by cncbasher
I presume you already have a 3 axis setup ? , can you say what you are using at present , and what your machine is , then it will give us an idea or what may be better suited to your requirements

More
27 Jun 2013 00:22 #36097 by Nenad
Here are the pictures of my machine. The current box I am using actually supports 4 axes but I don't use the 4th one. The controller board is made by www.easy-cnc.com
and it works great. I purchased it with the Zenbot cnc that I have (zenbotcnc.com). It also works great.
We'll see what the maker of the board says. They currently have no 5 axis boards on their website.

This is the 4th and 5th axis that I am adding:
www.wtotoy.com/4th-and-5th-axis-cnc-rota...ining-router-en.html

The hardest material that I carve is wood, so I don't think there would be any problems with the additional axes in terms of strenght and durability.
Attachments:

More
27 Jun 2013 00:29 #36100 by Nenad
I see. What I meant was "I only know how to use the wizard". Will try to figure out the ini files. Ideally the same maker who made my current boards should send me the upgraded version. I just posted the pictures.

Regards,

More
27 Jun 2013 00:34 #36101 by Nenad
Here are the specs for the stepper motors:

au.alibaba.com/product/528011578-Nema-34...-motor-size.html?s=p

Its 1 Amp

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds