Tool offset patch

More
30 Oct 2012 06:45 #26035 by LAIR82
Replied by LAIR82 on topic Re:Tool offset patch
Hey Guys,

I'm out of town right now on a service call, so when I get back in a couple of days I will post my tool table. I do know if I call T02 it will index to tool 2, no offsets.

We were just commenting/wondering on all these items.

What makes this whole situation even more interesting is I have never worked on or even around cnc equipment until 4 months ago. So I am learning the g-code, m-code as I go along. I have a very strong tube/pipe producing background in electrical/mechanical maintenance.

I didn't realize (prior to the patch) you couldn't open the tool table once you had a program loaded. I haven't tried to change anything though while the programs are running, just while stopped, not paused.

As for the entering in diameter issue, I have G7 in my INI startup code. Our shop does everything in diameter in relation to programming/operations/editing on our lathes. We have to put the value in as a radius though on the table. Not a killer but it makes it easier for the guys.

Having seperate pages isn't really a deal breaker either. It was just a thought, that went along with being able to have a tab for the wear offsets on the display.

And as for the option in the INI, that would apply after the patch would be pushed to master. We realize that a lot of the time the regular tool table is sufficient for a lot of applications, but we hope that this will make its way to master and then will be selectable between the normal and this modified table.

I will have to talk to my boss to see if he would like to be able to edit the wear offsets on a paused program. I don't think that will be needed, one thing we were kicking around though would be to eliminate the reload button on the tooledit program though. It makes for an extra key the operator has to press, and they have forgotten that already a couple times. I would think that if you click the save button that it should apply what you have entered on the sheet automatically.

Like I say these are just things we kicked around, and if there just too far out there, just let me know.

And don't get SRT and myself wrong, we love Linucnc. It is very powerful and for being FREE, can't foget that wonderful part, we are just learning very quickly what its capable of and, how to push it to its fullest potential.

Thanks guys

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Oct 2012 06:52 #26037 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Re:Tool offset patch

I don't think that will be needed, one thing we were kicking around though would be to eliminate the reload button on the tooledit program though. It makes for an extra key the operator has to press, and they have forgotten that already a couple times. I would think that if you click the save button that it should apply what you have entered on the sheet automatically.

IMHO the save button for any tool table editor should reload the tool table.

John

More
30 Oct 2012 11:40 #26044 by cmorley
Replied by cmorley on topic Re:Tool offset patch
I think the original idea was you could save the changes to file even when you couldn't update linuxcnc internals.
I don't see how that is necessary but I don't use a tool table :)
In the gladevcp tooledit when you apply it it tells linuxcnc to update. if you can't update linuxcnc then the apply button is sensitized out.

Gee I guess I should hurry up and push Gscreen to master....

More
30 Oct 2012 18:37 #26053 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Re:Tool offset patch
Now I understand the logic behind the reload button. I use tool tables on two machines and I've never edited one when a program is running so that is what lead to my confusion. I would be afraid that I'd send the tool table to the back or minimize it and forget about it.

Yep get to pushing... I got the VMC moved from the garage to the shop yesterday so all I have left is to deshamblize the shop and I'm ready to try gscreen out.

John

More
13 May 2013 05:43 - 13 May 2013 05:43 #33970 by cmorley
Here is an updated patch that applies cleanly to master.

Chris M
Attachments:
Last edit: 13 May 2013 05:43 by cmorley.

More
13 May 2013 12:14 - 13 May 2013 12:15 #33973 by cmorley
So working on this patch and I find weirdness.

If you call t1 does linuxcnc ask for tool 10001?

As I understand it in the toolfile:
tool number 1 would hold the wear offsets for wear offsets 1
tool number 2 would hold the wear offsets for wear offsets 2
tool number 10001 would hold the geometry offsets for tool number 1
tool number 10003 would hold the geometry offsets for tool number 3

if the wear offset # 1 was missing and you called T1 you should get tool #1 geometry with zero wear offset.
I get an error 'tool not found'
with wear offset #1 missing and you call T102 you should get tool #1 geometry with wear offsets #2
I get an error tool not found
I know why this is and how to fix it I just want to make sure I am not misunderstanding concepts here.

I don't understand why tool geometry is store in tool number + 10000 instead of wear offset - is this a fanuc thing?
There is a book to reference in the patch but i cannot find it on the internet (CNC fundamentals)

Could someone who uses this patch post a sample toolfile.

I have fixed the patch to use an INI switch and am preparing to get it in shape for inclusion to linuxcnc.

Chris M
Last edit: 13 May 2013 12:15 by cmorley.

More
13 May 2013 18:29 #33985 by LAIR82
Replied by LAIR82 on topic Re:Tool offset patch
Hello Chris,

I thought I just had too much coffee the day I actually read the info in the patch, I didn't understand it either but the latter is correct. Wear offsets are in "tools" 10001-100027 and the tool geometry is under "tool" 1-17. If I make a tool call of T01 then it will change to tool 1 and not apply any wear offset. If I call T0101, then it will change to tool 1 and apply wear offset 01. You could also make a call of T0102, tool 1 offset 02, T0103, tool 1 offset 03 and so on, to apply different offsets to different diameters or shoulders on the same part.

I have a question on the tool data disappearing on our other build. The actual tool.tbl file was made under the AXIS display on that machine, then I switched it to gscreen at the end and turned it over to production. Could there be any discrepancies between the two that would cause the erratic behaviour?

Attached is our tool file that uses the patch.

Thanks

Rick

More
13 May 2013 23:46 #34010 by cmorley
+    if (FEATURE(LATHE_TOOLCHANGE)) {
+		if (block->t_number > 99 && block->t_number<10000) {
+			geo_offset_register = floor(block->t_number/100) + 10000;	// geometery offset is first two digits of T call, plus 10000 offset
+			wear_offset_register = block->t_number % 100;	// wear offset is second two digits
+		} else if (block->t_number < 100) {
+			geo_offset_register = block->t_number + 10000;			// per Smit (p.404 CNC Fundamentals) geo offsets are offset by 10000

The code clear says the geometry offsets are toolnumber + 10000

Your attachment was not attached.
Also what does the toolchange popup say about tool number?

Chris M

More
13 May 2013 23:49 #34013 by cmorley
AXIS writing the tool file first - I am 99% sure this could not cause a problem.
Chris M

More
14 May 2013 00:06 #34017 by jlviloria
Replied by jlviloria on topic Re:Tool offset patch
I think it should go here

Crhis know the limitation of my English will try my best.

<Tool Editor>

4 = geometry tool = -80.01
10004 = wear tool = 0.6

(I do not use g92 or g54)

1) proceed to "compensate" my tool in Z axis.

2) I press the key "tool-set", digit 0

3) The value of Z in absolute position is 0.6 (take the offset value (10004))

4) delete the offset value (10004) placed him 0, I press apply, reload. back to "compensate"

5) I press key "tool-set" digit 0, and the value returns to 0.6 (the value of wear (10004) is again 0.6)

6) repeat the operation and got it.

7) the third or fourth attempt takes the value 0 at absolute and the wear (10004).

8) when I try to change the tool, get the message "request not found tool 10004 in tool table".

9) I go to the tool-editor, all erased.

I think that happens when you go to "Compensate" a tool that has already been compensated before.

Thanks,

Jorge

Time to create page: 0.358 seconds