Tiny Computer with Printer port

More
24 Nov 2014 23:43 #53356 by tkamsker
Hi,
thank you daughter name i couldn't guess of course ,.. .

What do you mean with faulty ? maybe i can be of some help.
i have the possibility to bring an Tormach Like VMC on the market and i want to have an basic version which is no fuzz stepper thing.
So my idea is to have that ncboxes mounted fixed if there is an problem they get fresh CF card and here we go ,..

so i will contact the factory to see what kind of bulk price they do and how they can support
in the pro version i use an ITX Motherboard and FPGA PCI Card to drive the servos ,..
I would love to have an actual 2.6 live DVD install on the NCBOX but that might not happened
So i got arc eyes image and an linuxcnc 2.5.2 to work i got an patched 8.04 Linuxcnc but compiled 2.6.x version to run
And i will now use your image as an starting point to see where it gets me

What do you mean back to drawing board ? what fore did you use your ncbox ?
thx
thomas

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Nov 2014 08:36 #53370 by midworld08
My NCBox parallel ports do not output commands given to them. It appears the IO chip is faulty. Thought it might be the Kernel I had compiled and went back to booting off a USB to the live 8.04 version and it still does not work. Downloaded a parport testing program, and alas the ports do not output as they are supposed to.
The NCbox took around 1 month to arrive here in Oz, not game to wait that long for another computer. So I am looking at other solutions. Plus the NCbox latency is not all that good.
I had a mini Itx motherboard that ran 8.04 OK and latency was 28k. But the mill worked, until the motherboard failure. So I started looking for something dedicated to running it.
I might get another small ITX with parport from ebay and carry on. The NCbox was a good idea, but frustrating with the CF card.
I'm also looking at Arduino gcode interpreters grbl, and might use the NCbox as a linux desktop to run zap maker as thats all USB controlled. So all is not lost.
Really want my machine running....I miss the fun of hitting the emergency stop........
Col

More
25 Nov 2014 09:07 #53371 by andypugh

My NCBox parallel ports do not output commands given to them. It appears the IO chip is faulty. Thought it might be the Kernel I had compiled and went back to booting off a USB to the live 8.04 version and it still does not work. Downloaded a parport testing program, and alas the ports do not output as they are supposed to.

It is possible that a parport tester wouldn't work on the NC-Box as the port is really a GPIO port not a classic parallel port.

Are you sure you have the right base-address for the port in HAL?

If you do decide to go for a standard ITX board, then the Asrock Q1900DC looks like a good bet, the chipset has been reported to give low latency and the 12V DC input jack on that version saves a PSU as your machine almost certainly already has 12V or is can be created with a cheap eBay DC-DC converter.
www.newegg.com/global/au/Product/SingleP...spx?ReviewID=4128729

But the NC-box is rather cute and ought to work.

More
25 Nov 2014 22:54 #53398 by midworld08
Your ASrock looks nice with good Ubuntu reviews, but I see no parport anywhere on it??? (I could probably fix his warm booting issues.. :laugh: . )

www.newegg.com/global/au/Product/Product...Item=N82E16813157495

OK price though.

I've tested both the addresses they give on the ports for the NCBox. If you get it wrong, you get nothing out of it. If you get the address right, you get some signals out of it, with several pins mirroring what should be there. I've got them all pulled low with 5k resistors on the main data bits. I thought it might be me, but I had an electronics mate over the other day, and over a beer we pronounced the LPT useless. So I either spend another $200 on a motherboard.....or find another way.....

Cheers
Col

More
25 Nov 2014 23:10 #53400 by andypugh

Your ASrock looks nice with good Ubuntu reviews, but I see no parport anywhere on it?

A header marked LPT1 can be seen between the PCI slot and the SATA slots.

I've got them all pulled low with 5k resistors on the main data bits

I would normally expect to be pulling LPT port pins _up_.

More
25 Nov 2014 23:53 #53403 by tkamsker
Hi I unfortunately also have buyed the SROCK D1800B-ITX which wasn't so good pecause i also have an FPGA PCI card ,..
in my Bridgeport Project i use Mainboard FOXCONN D52S, Mini-ITX which works very well but the Foxconn is not avail any More
last week i got as my new dev board an Gigabyte GA-H81N-D2H which has an PCI Card (would be fine for General Mechatronics or Mesa ) and has an serial and parallel port.
Which has an wired pin layout so i have to do an 2x13 to DB25 Connector
this weekend i´ll test that they already have the new live cd onboard so far all looks good but i still would like to get the NC Box to work for an cheap industrial solution
Question i learned of an friend who do embedded devices that CF cards die early ?
Does anybody know if that is true and if yes is there an CF Pinout SSD Disk avail ?
i searched but didn't find it
thx
thomas
Ps. And also would expect to pull-up ,..

More
26 Nov 2014 00:18 #53404 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Tiny Computer with Printer port
There are a couple of Mini-ITX J1800, J1900 motherboards with PCI (and parallel port)

www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item...13-132-104-_-Product
www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item...13-128-698-_-Product

Heres a Micro-ATX J1900 motherboard with parallel and 2 PCI slots:

www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item...13-157-565-_-Product

More
26 Nov 2014 00:19 #53405 by andypugh

Hi I unfortunately also have buyed the SROCK D1800B-ITX which wasn't so good pecause i also have an FPGA PCI card .

Yes, the Q1900 will only work with the 6i25 rather than any other Mesa card. Which means than none of the 50-pin daughter cards can be used.
So, it would be a good choice for 6i25 / 7i76 or 6i25 / 7i77 but if you want resolvers of 7i39 drives it won't work.

More
26 Nov 2014 00:22 #53406 by andypugh

There are a couple of Mini-ITX J1800, J1900 motherboards with PCI (and parallel port)

I haven't yet found one with a full-size PCI slot and DC power input yet, though.

I did forget in my previous post that the 7i43 would be a perfectly good way of running 50-pin daughter cards on the Q1900DC.

More
26 Nov 2014 00:44 #53408 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Tiny Computer with Printer port

Yes, the Q1900 will only work with the 6i25 rather than any other Mesa card. Which means than none of the 50-pin daughter cards can be used.

The 6I24 is a option for a Mesa card (as are the Ethernet cards)

Time to create page: 0.178 seconds