Problem running linuxcnc master on Ubuntu 12.04

More
08 Oct 2014 04:49 - 08 Oct 2014 04:51 #51867 by Swapper
Hi
Installed a fresh Ubuntu 12.04 and followed this guide
wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?UpdatingTo2.6

Getting some problems i cant get my head arround, and the searches im doing on the subject is not many.

File Attachment:

File Name: debug.txt
File Size:65 KB
Attachments:
Last edit: 08 Oct 2014 04:51 by Swapper.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Oct 2014 04:55 - 08 Oct 2014 04:57 #51868 by BigJohnT
Unless there is some reason to use Ubuntu it is better to use Debian Wheezy so I've been told.

www.linuxcnc.org/index.php/english/download

This does seem to be the problem.
Debug file information:
Gen6+ requires Kernel 3.6 or later.
python: ../../../../src/mesa/main/context.c:1549: _mesa_make_current: Assertion `newCtx->Version > 0' failed.

JT
Last edit: 08 Oct 2014 04:57 by BigJohnT.

More
08 Oct 2014 13:19 - 08 Oct 2014 13:22 #51876 by Swapper
i tried Wheezy and got nothing but problems getting it as good as ubuntu since VNC support is diffrent using X11vnc.
And the whole reason i upgraded to 12.04 was to get my new Dell touchscreen working (Quanta chip) and that did not run in Wheezy.
Got the touch working yesterday in Ubuntu 12.04 but hit the problems in my first post.

As i understand this its a intel driver for my grapics card that is yelling that it needs a newer kernel.

askubuntu.com/questions/300300/intel-hd-...ntu-12-04-kernel-3-5

Anyone know if there is a 3.6 RTAI kernel available for Ubuntu 12.04 ?
Last edit: 08 Oct 2014 13:22 by Swapper.

More
08 Oct 2014 15:15 #51878 by cncbasher
you would be better with wheezy hybrid iso , vnc works in wheezy just fine and also dont install manufactures drivers
your touch screen should run ,

you also cant run any rtai kernel , so it could be that your messing things up , by trying different combinations

More
08 Oct 2014 15:19 #51879 by ArcEye
Hi

Your basic problem is that you are trying to run Linuxcnc with hardware not supported by the available kernels.
That is very often the case when trying to do everything on one machine.

I am not sure why VNC is important, that is normally a sign that the user is unable to wean themselves off windoze and just wants to access Linux from windoze
If you were remotely accessing a machine running Linuxcnc from the machine with the HD3000 chip, none of this would be an issue.

There are no > 3.6-rtai kernels I am aware of for 12.04. It may be LTS, but effectively 12 and 13 are dead and the libraries are getting old..

There is a 3.8.13-rtai kernel in the MachineKit repos running on Trusty (14.04)
It has corresponding headers and realtime

deb.dovetail-automata.com/pool/main/

You would need to check that it has the correct drivers built, but no reason to think they would not be.

regards

More
08 Oct 2014 15:47 - 08 Oct 2014 15:50 #51882 by Swapper
The hardware im running on is supported by the available kernels since i did not get the problem on Debian Wheezy.
But there i got other problems (VNC and no hid-touch drivers)
So it more a combination of my hardware not being supported in one release.
Might have been that the Intel HD 3000 driver is loaded difrently on Wheezy, im not shure but i could start linuxcnc atleast.

i have ran the CNC on the exact same hardware with ubuntu 10.04 for several month without problem minus the touchscreen.

That is very often the case when trying to do everything on one machine.

All the machine is going to run is Linuxcnc and support the new touch screen.

I am not sure why VNC is important, that is normally a sign that the user is unable to wean themselves off windoze and just wants to access Linux from windoze

VNC is only a tool so that i dont have to stand in the garage and configure all this stuff.
Remote X dont seem like good solution since i need to have "same session" remote control since im configureing touch screen and whatnot.
Alternitives to this are welcome.

There is a 3.8.13-rtai kernel in the MachineKit repos running on Trusty (14.04)
It has corresponding headers and realtime

Think ill try to compile a new 3.6+ kernel for 12.04 instead of running 14.04

you would be better with wheezy hybrid iso , vnc works in wheezy just fine and also dont install manufactures drivers
your touch screen should run ,

Tried the hybrid iso and got linuxcnc running on it, but no hid-multitouch and VNC did not work the way i would like.
Tried to get x11vnc working but seemd very buggy and did not repond to input if the vty where not active and so forth.
What vnc or other remote control solution is the best on wheezy ?

i have not installed any drivers seperatly!
Last edit: 08 Oct 2014 15:50 by Swapper.

More
08 Oct 2014 17:33 #51886 by ArcEye

Think ill try to compile a new 3.6+ kernel for 12.04 instead of running 14.04

There have never been any RTAI patches for 3.6 that I am aware of.

The most recent supported kernels in the copies of the repos I have are 3.8.13, 3.10.53 and 3.14.17

In the time it takes to track down the sources, you could install 14.04 on another partition and try the Machinekit packages.
If it does not work with your hardware, you just delete it.

regards

More
08 Oct 2014 18:17 #51888 by cncbasher
i personally use x11vnc or xvnc4 and i have used tightvnc , i have not had any problems reminia remote also works but i did find it was ram hungry

as the touch screen packages are available it should not be too difficult to install them

More
08 Oct 2014 19:17 #51893 by cncbasher
i personally use x11vnc or xvnc4 and i have used tightvnc , i have not had any problems reminia remote also works but i did find it was ram hungry

as the touch screen packages are available it should not be too difficult to install them
there is a post giving some information on installing touch screens to the wheesy hybrid.iso

More
13 Oct 2014 23:08 #52039 by akb1212
I have similar problems with Quantas touch driver. But mine is only working in 10.04...... even older than 12.04. But truth be told I don't like the look and feel of 12.04. 10.04 is much cleaner and doesn't pretend to be a windoze 7 lookalike. The new Debian is by far the best as far as everything except touch screen. Which is too bad because it's a showstopper for me and keeps me stuck to 10.04. I really like the Debian and would very much like to switch to it permanently. I have it installed as multi boot.

The monitor is a new Acer (cheap and crappy really). So I don't understand why it's so hard to make it work on the new kernels. I thought this would have built in support. But I have come to understand Quantas touch devices isn't a good match with Linux.

As for VNC solutions I can recommend Teamviewer. I have not had problems with that in any of the Linux versions I have tried (10.04, 12.04 and the new Debian hybrid). And it does everything I want from a VNC solution and then some.

Anders

Time to create page: 0.097 seconds