lathe programming

More
19 Jan 2012 07:23 #16922 by ftkalcevic
Replied by ftkalcevic on topic Re:lathe programming
Is there any other messages? That message looks like a warning not an error. Actually, googling the message shows it is only a warning. It has to do with a .png image being loaded. Are you customising GWiz?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jan 2012 09:28 #16929 by roach81
Replied by roach81 on topic Re:lathe programming
ftkalcevic wrote:

Is there any other messages? That message looks like a warning not an error. Actually, googling the message shows it is only a warning. It has to do with a .png image being loaded. Are you customising GWiz?

Attachments:

More
19 Jan 2012 12:23 #16939 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Re:lathe programming
Guys, instead of hijacking a really old thread for a new subject just create a new post.

John

More
24 Feb 2012 22:23 #18051 by Moltenaluminium
Hi,

Sorry for reopening an old thread, But I have a .dxf from Qcad of a profile that I would like to run on my lathe. I haven't been able to figure out how to do this using ngcgui. Do you or anyone here have and pointers?

Thanks

More
25 Feb 2012 10:47 #18074 by Rick G
Replied by Rick G on topic Re:lathe programming
Ngcgui does not run .dxf files. In order to run a dxf profile it must first be converted to a .ngc file.
So you need to go from a CAD (.dxf file to a CAM file such as .ngc

Take a look here to start...

wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Cam

Rick G

More
25 Feb 2012 17:03 #18086 by Kirk_Wallace
Replied by Kirk_Wallace on topic Re:lathe programming
I haven't followed this thread, but in case it might help, I've used the dxf2gcode program to create g-code.
wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Simple...e_and_produce_G_code

I draw the part profile in Qcad, then sometimes add roughing passes. dxf2gcode allows me to pick out a set, or all of the paths I need, then creates the g-code. I then combine the sets of g-code by hand, if needed, with the gEdit text editor..
--
Kirk Wallace
www.wallacecompany.com/machine_shop/
www.wallacecompany.com/E45/index.html
California, USA

More
05 Mar 2012 02:00 #18364 by Moltenaluminium
Ok. I have solved my problem and I'm so far very pleased with the results.

I tried QCad and was quite disappointed with the outcome thus far. My lack of experience with QCad was a bit frustrating. I've tried all sorts of DXF to GCode converters, Tried running some of the crippleware Windows CAD/CAM apps from the intertubes but was met with failure.

I've done a fair share of modelling with Blender so I tried going back to what I know with that. I created a simple profile of a chess piece for testing:

Now I just need to somehow generate GCode with that. The nice thing about Blender is that is had a terrific python API. I wrote a Blender -> Lathe GCode script and was able to process my profile's X and Z coordinates and write function calls to create tool paths.

My script is here:

solar1.net/files/blender2lathe.py

It's crude but it nicely generated tool paths for progressive turning on the lathe, plus detecting concave pockets within the profile. So with this in hand I was able to create the part on a lathe that I had converted to CNC a few weeks ago.

Here is the YouTube video of creating of the pawn mentioned above:

If anyone finds this useful feel free to use my script. If you see improvements that could be made by all means send me feedback and if you can improve the python script let me know and I will update my copy.

More
05 Mar 2012 11:21 #18377 by Rick G
Glad to hear you found a path from design to part that works for you.

Rick G

Moderators: Dan FalckSkullworks
Time to create page: 0.277 seconds