lathe programming

More
28 Mar 2011 20:10 #8216 by RotarySMP
Replied by RotarySMP on topic Re:lathe programming
Hi Guys,

I have just converted my little CNC Lathe from TurboCNC to EMC2 (2.4.3 on Ubuntu 10.04).

Since I have always used the lathe in a similar manor to a manual tool room lathe, I don't normally use CAM software, but just stand at the machine and use the MDI.

TurboCNC has a fantastic canned cylce (G77) for multi pass turning or facing cuts.

I can see that I need to install either NGCGUI or Andy's pyvcp panel.

I have read through Andy's page www.bodgesoc.org/lathe/lathe.html and downloaded the files but couldn't get it to run for me.

I think the errors I get at EMC start are probably related to not having the same spindle config as Andy (have a separate request for help on that topic) , and maybe as I couldn't work out how to get EMC to load your special G code during start up.

Does the XML file just have to sit in the main machine file with the INI and HAL files, or does it need to be somewhere else?

When I set up my machine with the config widget, I added that one pyvcp Panel for digital spindle readout. Do I need to install some other pyvcp widget to get your dial system installed Andy?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Mar 2011 20:37 - 28 Mar 2011 20:42 #8222 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Re:lathe programming
To really put the cat amongst the pigeons, I don't use that config any more.
I now use a system where buttons in the GUI call separate subroutines in the nc_files directory, so I can have G-code for a part loaded, and still use the primitives to square it up, for example. (I also have lead-out radius for the lathe OD turning).

I probably ought to update the page, but now that it is possible to set up a tab for each operation in Axis using gladeVCP there are rather neater and more elegant ways to achieve the same thing.
Here is a link to JT's config.
www.linuxcnc.org/component/option,com_ku...4/lang,english/#8223
(That does require EMC2 version 2.5 I think, and that isn't released quite yet)
Last edit: 28 Mar 2011 20:42 by andypugh.

More
28 Mar 2011 20:40 #8224 by andypugh
Sorry, I didn't actually answer your questions, did I?

The XML file goes in the same directory as the HAL and INI files.
See section 1.4 here for how to get that panel to display:
www.linuxcnc.org/docs/2.2/html/hal_pyvcp...#sec:pyvcp-with-axis

You will need to tweak the HAL code to suit your signal names. If you start emc2 from the command-line (just type emc ) then you will get a message about what is wrong when it can't find a pin or signal name. Just keep at it until it stops complaining :-)

More
28 Mar 2011 20:48 #8227 by RotarySMP
Do you know the planned release date for a live image of 2.5? If it is soon, I might wait, but I would really like to get some form of conversational programming running, as writing numerous turning or facing routines soon gets old.

I spent about three hours yesterday trying to work out what I needed to do to get NGCGUI or your pyVCP panel installed. It was time well invested, as I have not done much in Linux or EMC before. I didn't get to a result though.

I'd appreciate having your gladeVCP interface widget, if you'd help me with the setup steps.

More
29 Mar 2011 10:41 #8253 by andypugh
I will try to pull the current config off of the lathe tonight, and update the web page.

However, when you watch Dewey and NGCGUI in action, that does look like a better solution.

More
29 Mar 2011 22:08 #8269 by andypugh
RotarySMP wrote:

I'd appreciate having your gladeVCP interface widget, if you'd help me with the setup steps.

It's PyVCP, but there should be all you need here:
www.bodgesoc.org/lathe/lathe.html

More
30 Mar 2011 07:21 #8277 by RotarySMP
Thanks Andy. It'll be Friday before I can install this, but look forward to learning how to use it over the weekend.

More
31 Mar 2011 15:55 #8331 by RotarySMP
The spindle speed display is running correctly now, but commanding g33 Z-20 K1 (metric lathe) returns an error that the spindle is not running even though it is. I commanded S500 before the G33 command.

Any ideas what is wrong?

More
31 Mar 2011 16:12 #8332 by andypugh
You probably have one or more of the required speed feedback pins back into the motion controller unconnected.
linuxcnc.org/docs/html/examples_spindle....-Synchronized-Motion

specifically motion.spindle-revs, motion.spindle-speed-in & motion.spindle-index-enable

it should be OK to make the missing connections in the custom_postgui HAL file.

More
19 Jan 2012 07:01 #16921 by roach81
Replied by roach81 on topic Re:lathe programming
i have error on start GWiz:

Ignoring attempt to set cHRM RGB triangle with zero area

what's the problem?

Moderators: Dan FalckSkullworks
Time to create page: 0.131 seconds