NEWS
2.6 Live+Install image
There are no translations available.

Announcing a new Live+Install DVD image for installing LinuxCNC 2.6 on Debian Wheezy. Instructions here.

LinuxCNC 2.6.2 Released

Bug fix see the change log.

LinuxCNC 2.6.1 Released

Bug fix see the change log.

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Plasma/Mesa Guru's

Re:Plasma/Mesa Guru's 06 Сен 2010 09:48 #4013

• austin.mn
  • Senior Boarder
I have an older version of artcam that I wrote a plasma post for. It works good, but I would like something that works in ubuntu. I am no longer going to be using windows on the shop computer. I have banned myself from creating posts in my office computer for the plasma. I made the mistake of forgetting that I was using the plasma post on the mill toolpaths and crashed my spindle right into the table looking for a Z touch off. It was a bad day. So I have need to find something to create gcode on the plasma computer. Sheetcam seems popular, so I will probably use it.

Is it tough to add control knobs in EMC? My friend is used to having a knobs to increase/decrease pierce time and cut height. I may have to tell him he needs to live with buttons for the time being. Boy, after saying that now I feel as if I need to make a bad mamba jamba pendent. Something that has a digiital display, a joystick, and a bunch of buttons.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Plasma/Mesa Guru's 06 Сен 2010 11:02 #4014

• BigJohnT
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 240
If you get Sheetcam I can share my EMC2 post with you. In sheetcam you can define each tip/material combo with the pierce height and delay...

Are you talking about physical knobs and buttons? I use a joy pad on my plasma to jog it into position before a cut.

I wrote this article about adding the joypad to my plasma.

wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emcinfo.pl?Simple_Remote_Pendant

Or are you talking about virtual knobs and buttons like pyVCP?

www.linuxcnc.org/docview/html//hal_pyvcp_examples.html

I need to get a screen shot of my config for you. BTW, you can't run my config files unless you have a 5i20 installed or you have to comment out all the 5i20 stuff just to see what it looks like.

I also have used the PoKeys55 to connect up to 4 analog and a whole butt load of buttons to EMC2 via a USB connection.

The toughest part is just figuring out what you want to do... there are enough EMC folks hanging out here to help with that end.

John
Last Edit: 06 Сен 2010 11:07 by BigJohnT.

Re:Plasma/Mesa Guru's 17 Сен 2010 13:34 #4238

• austin.mn
  • Senior Boarder
Alright. I am finally going to pull the trigger on monday. But, before I do....

What are the things that I need to buy/order. I am living in a rural area, so everything will pretty much need to be ordered and I want to try and make sure that I have everything that I need.

5i20
THCAD 10v version to use the 20:1 output on my Esab ESP-50

Is there breakout boards available, or do they come with them. I am currently only running steppers, but I plan to build a new table using AC servos in the near future.

Re:Plasma/Mesa Guru's 18 Сен 2010 16:02 #4247

• BigJohnT
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 240
I made some breakout boards for mine but ordered the 50 pin cables from Mesa. If I did it over I would just order a breakout board and 50 pin cable from Mesa next time. If you plan on mounting the board you need the smaller standoffs I think they are 3mm x 6-32 or something like that.

Speaking of rural you can't see my house for the trees and my internet has to come from a tower up on top of the hill to the next hill... ain't it grand to live out in the country.

I just looked and I used P2 for the THC and P4 for the steppers. Depending on what firmware you use is where and what is on each plug. I can share my complete configs with you if you like.

John

Re:Plasma/Mesa Guru's 20 Сен 2010 08:01 #4257

• austin.mn
  • Senior Boarder
Thanks John. I appreciate it.

I am feeling fairly confident that this system will work out for me and am going to place an order.

Austin

Back to the living in the country....

The idea of it really seems better than the actuality of it. I live in Minnesota and there are so many things you just aren't allowed to do anymore. It is really disturbing. When I was a kid, I could take off on my dirtbike and head down the road. No problems. now though, you aren't even allowed to ride in the ditch, even in front of your own land. And they do enforce it! If you have a little mud on your own land you are not allowed to ride your four wheeler through it. The nearest public riding area for dirtbikes is over an hour away, even though there is a lot of public owned land (old gravel pits) within 5 minutes, and they have shut down almost all the trails there. As you can tell, I am kind of bitter about all the damn rules.

Re:Plasma/Mesa Guru's 23 Янв 2011 15:35 #6812

• austin.mn
  • Senior Boarder
Big John,

I finally got my 5i20, I also got a 7i37TA, 7i42TA and a THCAD-10.

I loaded the hostmot2 using the synaptic package manager and I was able to launch EMC using HM2-stepper 5i20 but when I tried to load the files that you provided it wouldn't open.

I have attached the error report. I am sure there was just a step I missed or something stupid that I overlooked. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Attachments:
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Last Edit: 23 Янв 2011 15:36 by austin.mn.
Moderators: PCW, jmelson
Time to create page: 0.721 seconds