How to install LinuxCNC from USB?

More
29 Jun 2013 03:00 #36154 by Cysign
Hey guys,

I'm trying to install EMC2-LinuxCNC since yesterday and I spent several hours to check if any idea I had would work... but I can't figura out how to create a proper bootable USB device to install Ubuntu with EMC2 from.

I tried from my Virtualmachines (Ubuntu 12.10, 13.04, 10.04) with unetbootin and Ubuntu's old startup-disk-creator... and running Windows 7 I tried using LiLi.
But I couldn't get eny of these work.
I always get something like
/dev/loop0 on //filesystem.squashfs failed: Input/output error Can not mount /dev/loop0 (/cdrom/casper/filesystem.squashfs) on //filesystem.squashfs

As I don't have an external dvd drive I can't use and DVD or CD medium to install it. My target system is an intel D425KT mainboard with atom processor. That one hasn't got any IDE ports, so I can't connect my DVD drive to it :(

Do you guys have any idea how to create a proper USB device?
I tried to overwrite caspar-folder on the stick with that one from the image-file..but even this didn't work out for me.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jun 2013 03:19 #36155 by BigJohnT

More
29 Jun 2013 23:35 #36160 by Cysign
Well...thank's for your link. I'm not new to install-linux-from-usb... and with an uo to date Ubuntu or Lubuntu or Linux Mint I never got those problems... So I even installed Lubuntu 13.04 from the stick to create an install-usb-medium from a native linux computer...but that didn't work, too...

More
30 Jun 2013 05:54 #36164 by Cysign
I just borrowed an s-ata disc-drive...and it works like a charm. What's going on with that image?
I always had trouble installing it from USB...

More
30 Jun 2013 18:01 #36171 by BigJohnT
I've never done it myself I just searched the forum for the answer...

JT

Time to create page: 0.086 seconds