Cad/Cam software for Linux

More
05 Feb 2010 00:23 #1751 by Hobbydad
Hello!

Loking for opinions on what is a good Cad/Cam package for Linux, either free or reasonable. I want to be able to do milling of various materials and circuit boards.

Thanks,
Kevin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Dan Falck
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
05 Feb 2010 14:29 #1763 by Dan Falck
Replied by Dan Falck on topic Re:Cad/Cam software for Linux
I use a variety of software on linux and Mac OS X that is open source for toolpath generation. My favorite at the moment is called HeekCAD/HeeksCNC. It's really alpha at the moment and can be a pain to install. So, that being said, if you're into circuit board milling, you might look at gcam:

gcam.js.cx/index.php/Main_Page

For just plain old 2D drawing, I like Qcad a lot now. It seems to come stock with most linux distros (or you just install it from Synaptic in Ubuntu).

I also run some windows applications under a program called 'Wine' which is a windows emulator. I have Autocad 2000, Rhino3d, Progecad, Vectorcam, and a few other programs working with it. Of course these aren't open source.

If you haven't already checked it out:

wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emcinfo.pl?Cam

has a lot of good links to related cadcam software for linux.

I hope that helps a little.

Dan

More
05 Feb 2010 16:12 #1767 by Hobbydad
Thanks Dan, This is some great information.

I am just about done with windows on a personal use basis. Too many virus's and crap! So I thought while I am setting up my cnc machine I would go Linux all the way.
I actually have autocad 13 but don't know if I want to use windows or if I do it want be on the machine computer.

Kevin

More
20 Apr 2012 10:45 #19392 by SvenH
Replied by SvenH on topic Re:Cad/Cam software for Linux
For 3D milling I really like Pycam:

pycam.sourceforge.net/

There is not much documentation (which I try to work on) but the program is quite self explanatory, just let the mouse hover every now and then.

I'll make a screencast shortly.

As far as I know this is the only open source CAM package that can handle .stl files.

Keep in mind that it requires Python of a specific version which lead me to install it in virtualbox, on linux 10.04/emc

• Dan Falck
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
21 Apr 2012 13:30 #19421 by Dan Falck
Replied by Dan Falck on topic Re:Cad/Cam software for Linux
Actually, HeeksCNC can handle *STL files as well. It uses OpenCAMLib for it's algorithms.
Dan

More
23 Oct 2012 12:11 #25663 by fishface
I know it's been a while since the question was asked, but I thought I'd make my recommendations in case they help anyone else searching the forums as I was (for something else).

I use Debian Squeeze. On this, I use VariCAD for general 2D and 3D design; it can export STL, STP and DRW and there is a 30 day unlimited trial.
I then use MeshCAM (this one is not free, but again there is a 30 trial period), which runs just fine under Wine.
Then I use LinuxCNC (obviously) which is fantastic; thanks to everyone who has contributed; it has completely revived my old Denford CNC.

For PCBs, I use KiCAD (free) for schematic capture, and PCB layout. From this, I export gerber plot and drill files which I then import into pcb2gcode (free) to generate gcode for track isolation engraving and drilling.

More
06 Nov 2012 15:59 #26301 by tkamsker
Replied by tkamsker on topic Cad/Cam software for Linux
Hi, So i use for drawing turbo CAD on the mac
(i also have a look at rhino 3d on the mac)
i generate 3d G Code and Lathe code on Bobcad V25 (the cad functionality is cr** or i simply dont like the 90s style )
i sometimes generate 2d code with Bobcad but last weekend it denied to do so on an special shape so i did it with CUT2d i also have deskproto (which i use for 4th axis ) and CUT3d the two last i used before i bought Bobcad. Which has the best price to functionality ratio but it is an windows program and behaves as such ,..

So looking under Linux i would try Heekscad and give it an try.
Depending what you want to do.
I know a lot of people which swear on Rhino 3d i like it but cant stand the fact that you cant really "construct" ,..

so that smy 5 cents ;)-
thomas

More
06 Nov 2012 19:19 #26305 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Cad/Cam software for Linux

Hi, So i use for drawing turbo CAD on the mac
(i also have a look at rhino 3d on the mac)

Have you seen: itunes.apple.com/gb/app/autodesk-invento...on/id529580720?mt=12

Somewhere between TurboCAD and Rhino, and cheaper. (free)

More
26 May 2013 03:20 #34699 by TemK
Replied by TemK on topic Cad/Cam software for Linux
I have been trying to make cad parts with inventor fusion. It is still in development.
It lacks more sophisticated tools in Rhino 3D, SharkFX, etc. if simple forms are all that you need then
Inventor is ok. My experience he been that inventor is not very stabile, it has crashed often for me.

More
26 May 2013 06:18 #34707 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Cad/Cam software for Linux

I have been trying to make cad parts with inventor fusion. It is still in development.
It lacks more sophisticated tools in Rhino 3D, SharkFX, etc. if simple forms are all that you need then
Inventor is ok. My experience he been that inventor is not very stabile, it has crashed often for me.

Just a nit-pick (and this is largely Autodesk's fault) But Inventor Fusion and Inventor are very different applications.

I think Inventor Fusion is a rather slick interface, and running native on a Mac is nice. But as you have noticed it is very much aimed at direct modelling.

Inventor is a Windows-only fully specced CAD system. Fully parametric, catalogues of standard parts, shaft calculations, finite-element stress calculations, the works. It is very nice, and very expensive.
(I run both on my Mac, but Inventor runs in a virtual windows machine. I am lucky enough to get a free home licence through my job)

Moderators: Dan FalckSkullworks
Time to create page: 0.226 seconds