lathe programming

• Dan Falck
  • Dan Falck's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
07 Jul 2009 03:26 #487 by Dan Falck
lathe programming was created by Dan Falck
All right... Let's talk about lathe programming. I saw this thread on the mailing list from several guys. I am also interested in this because it seems to be a neglected aspect of our hobby gcode programming. Everything seems to be oriented toward mill programming.
What are you guys doing to get your gcode for lathes?

Thanks,
Dan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jul 2009 12:14 #488 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Re:lathe programming
Hi Dan,

Cradek said he just programs his in by hand. I don't have a lathe with CNC yet but have been thinking about a simple g code generator for profiles but I have not had time to do anything with it...

John

More
19 Aug 2009 04:51 #726 by ftkalcevic
Replied by ftkalcevic on topic Re:lathe programming
I've started playing with Kenneth Lerman's GWiz (wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emcinfo.pl?GWi...ode_Wizard_Framework). My lathe was down and while waiting for parts, I created some wizards. I've attached a screen shot.

I haven't actually used them yet. I'm a little unsure what I want from them. You can use individual wizards, or you can build a sequence of them and suddenly it's a conversational programming application.

But, I usually draw up my parts in 3D CAD (alibre) first, and I really miss the verification a visual model gives.
Attachments:

More
14 Dec 2009 10:28 #1314 by Skullworks
Replied by Skullworks on topic Re:lathe programming
The Wiki mentioned MC9 - for lathe it reads as untested.

I was able to edit a mill post to get it very close for a manual tool change 3axis mill.

To proceed with lathe I need a few known good sample programs to work from. The machine we are using is a Shop Task El Dorado fitted with Steppers and G251's driving the OEM screws with great results so far with milling. Have not started a Lathe profile yet.

My prior employer had all the programs hand written in dumb mode ( no tip radii in tool comp table) I have not tried working with real geometry and G41|G42.

I just obtained a Hurco KM3P with MAX32 upgrade and a bunch of other $$$ software options. I'm hoping to find another KM3 with dead control to do an EMC2 refit on to add 4th axis. having common tooling between machines is part of the benefit.

More
14 Dec 2009 18:29 #1317 by Kirk_Wallace
Replied by Kirk_Wallace on topic Re:lathe programming
I have used QCAD to make a .dxf file of the roughing and finish paths. Then use dxf2gcode to convert to g-code. The problem here is that the axes are X and Y, so I have to edit the g-code to correct the axes. If the part is not too complex, I'll just hand code. Complex curves have to be done with software somehow.
--
Kirk Wallace
www.wallacecompany.com/machine_shop/
www.wallacecompany.com/E45/index.html
California, USA

More
15 Dec 2009 00:47 #1318 by BigJohnT
For a lathe it seems pretty straight forward to write a g code generator as you just have the Z and X to deal with. The question is do you want to import a dxf file or just define the path and material and other things?
Time to get this worked out before I get my Hardinge up and going on EMC.

John

More
09 Jan 2011 23:13 #6587 by HardinjMatt
Replied by HardinjMatt on topic Re:lathe programming
I've been struggling with this for some time...
I write my code for my Hardinge by hand, but it takes forever and tends to dampen my enthusiasm.

I've been looking for a Gibbscam post that gives me sane output, but so far I am not happy with it.

What I'd like to see is canned cycles like on the HAAS lathe I work with... It is tempting to imagine that a smart person could write some sort of macros that work similarly just using unix magic.

Can anybody suggest an avenue of approach for this programming problem? Assuming that the canned cycles amount to code that is parsed and replaced by reams of vanilla EMC instructions, there is no real reason why sed could not be used, right? is there any disadvantage to this?

imagine it: a sed script that you pour terse canned cycley gcode in and out pours the verbose equivalent. Such a program would be microscopic by today's standards. Different ones could be written to parse code meant for different sorts of control.

I am a very inexpert linuxer. Can somebody with more brains than me point me in a wise direction? Is there some advantage to using Python or something? Has someone done it already?

More
10 Jan 2011 12:24 #6595 by BigJohnT
What I do for 99% of the work I do on my Hardinge CHNC lathe is use Dewey's ngcgui with embedded tabs and have subroutines for most things including profile cutting. Take a look in the Subroutines section for more info.

Developments in the yet to be released version 2.5 will have very powerful capabilities to add features like that using GladeVCP.

John

More
10 Jan 2011 12:44 #6596 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Re:lathe programming
HardinjMatt wrote:

Has someone done it already?

I did something which addresses 90% of my lathe use.
www.bodgesoc.org/lathe/lathe.html
The ngcgui approach linked by John seems a bit more slick.
I will probably set up some form of hybrid approacj using the new gladevcp tabs option at some point.

More
10 Jan 2011 12:51 #6597 by BigJohnT
The thing I like the best about ngcgui is the ability to "build" a complete program very fast with as many steps as needed the sort the order so it makes sense. The only drawback is the sheer number of tabs that can accumulate in Axis. And you can't set the size and position of Axis at start up in the INI file...oh I'm getting off the subject now.

Face the end off and set Z zero.
Rough turn the OD
Turn a finish profile
Drill
Tap
Part Off

John

Moderators: Dan FalckSkullworks
Time to create page: 0.152 seconds