Touchscreen with LinuxCNC

More
11 Jun 2013 23:04 - 11 Jun 2013 23:16 #35541 by conorm
Hey guys,

Wondering if anyone has been able to use one of the N-trig capacitive touch screens successfully with LinuxCNC. Its a usb touch screen on an LG panel I'm trying to use as an all-in-one CNC control box. I've tested the screen both on windows and ubuntu 12.04LTS (run off a usb), both of which ran the touch well. So I'm confident its just a driver issue. I'm running the latest download of LinuxCNC, 10.04.

Right now, I'm able to run the screen and it does seem to recognize a 'touch' but will not recognize location. If I plug in the usb for the touch, wherever I touch on the screen the pointer moves to the top left hand corner and will only recognize a touch as a click. No amount of swiping or location of the touch seems to make a difference.

running lsinput outputs the following:

/dev/input/event7
bustype : BUS_USB
vendor : 0x1b96
product : 0x7
version : 272
name : "N-trig DuoSense"
phys : "usb-0000:00:13.0-3/input1"
uniq : "11.20.10.53.16"
bits ev : EV_SYN EV_KEY EV_ABS EV_MSC

I've tried loading the driver shown here: Post 18359 , but with no real results. I also tried loading the HidTouch Suite off of sourceforge, but seemed to have issues trying to compile onto the real time kernel.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Last edit: 11 Jun 2013 23:16 by conorm.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jun 2013 07:18 #35555 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Touchscreen with LinuxCNC

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Does the manufacturer have a calibration routine? My touchscreen was mirrored and rotated until I calibrated.

You may need to create an Xorg.conf file and put some stuff in there.

More
12 Jun 2013 21:55 #35566 by conorm
Replied by conorm on topic Touchscreen with LinuxCNC

Does the manufacturer have a calibration routine? My touchscreen was mirrored and rotated until I calibrated.

I don't know of any manufacturer calibration, though I was able to get xinput_calibrator set up. It didn't seem to recognize the touch, though the output from that is here:
Absolute events.
Warning: multiple calibratable devices found, calibrating last one (N-trig DuoSense)
	use --device to select another one.
DEBUG: Selected device: N-trig DuoSense
DEBUG: Not usbtouchscreen calibrator: Not a usbtouchscreen device
DEBUG: Read axes swap value of 0.
DEBUG: Read InvertX=0, InvertY=0.
Calibrating EVDEV driver for "N-trig DuoSense" id=12
	current calibration values (from XInput): min_x=0, max_x=0 and min_y=0, max_y=0
DEBUG: Found that 'N-trig DuoSense' is a sysfs name.
Is it possible the calibration values are my only problem?

You may need to create an Xorg.conf file and put some stuff in there.

To be honest, I'm fairly new to linux, so i'm not sure exactly how to go about this or what I would be needing to put into that file.

Thanks

More
12 Jun 2013 22:15 #35568 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic Touchscreen with LinuxCNC
Hi

From what I have read here
wiki.ubuntu.com/Multitouch/HardwareSupport

it is unlikely that anything before Ubuntu 10.10 will support it and maybe not until 12.xx from other threads on the Ubuntu forum

This wiki is for edubuntu but same principles apply, first test, does it get detected on kernel boot ( check dmesg ), if not that is the end of it.
wiki.edubuntu.org/X/Testing/Touch

regards

More
13 Jun 2013 00:39 #35571 by cncbasher

More
13 Jun 2013 04:55 #35576 by conorm

for further reading

ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1252492

Thanks, I had gone through the steps on this, but no luck on getting any response from the touchscreen. I may go back and run through with the wacom driver and see if that works,though.

Hi

From what I have read here
wiki.ubuntu.com/Multitouch/HardwareSupport

it is unlikely that anything before Ubuntu 10.10 will support it and maybe not until 12.xx from other threads on the Ubuntu forum

This wiki is for edubuntu but same principles apply, first test, does it get detected on kernel boot ( check dmesg ), if not that is the end of it.
wiki.edubuntu.org/X/Testing/Touch

I was initially thinking that 10.10 support was only for the multitouch capability and not basic functionality with pen or single finger input. I went through the steps on the second link and it seems that while it does recognize the screen as an input device, it doesn't recognize it as a touchscreen. Which is basically what I've been experiencing in terms of functionality. So you think i'm totally SOL with getting the touchscreen working with linuxcnc, or is just going to require a custom driver for the realtime kernel to be put together?

Thanks again

More
13 Jun 2013 14:31 #35579 by ArcEye

So you think i'm totally SOL with getting the touchscreen working with linuxcnc, or is just going to require a custom driver for the realtime kernel to be put together?

What it will require is a rt kernel based upon a kernel that does support it.

Have a look at the xenomai kernel packages which run on 12.04 / 12.10. They are based on kernel 3.5.7 which certainly should support it
wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?XenomaiKernelPackages

More
14 Jun 2013 22:10 - 14 Jun 2013 22:12 #35626 by conorm

Have a look at the xenomai kernel packages which run on 12.04 / 12.10. They are based on kernel 3.5.7 which certainly should support it
wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?XenomaiKernelPackages

Thanks ArcEye, that helped a lot. So i've got the touch working on 12.04 running the xenomai kernel. I did have to run through a few more steps in terms of getting the parallel port working with linuxcnc. So everything on that end seems to be running well. But, now I've got a new issue of not being able to get linuxcnc running. I seem to be having a similar issue to the one you were trying to help out with greenbuggy ( post 33595 ). I'm getting a simmilar boot error where it'll crash trying to start up axis.

I realize this maynot be the most helpful, but here is the output from linuxcnc_print:
RUN_IN_PLACE=yes
LINUXCNC_DIR=
LINUXCNC_BIN_DIR=/home/minibox/emc2-dev/bin
LINUXCNC_TCL_DIR=/home/minibox/emc2-dev/tcl
LINUXCNC_SCRIPT_DIR=
LINUXCNC_RTLIB_DIR=/home/minibox/emc2-dev/rtlib
LINUXCNC_CONFIG_DIR=
LINUXCNC_LANG_DIR=/home/minibox/emc2-dev/src/objects
INIVAR=inivar
HALCMD=halcmd
LINUXCNC_EMCSH=/usr/bin/wish8.5
INIFILE=/home/minibox/emc2-dev/configs/gecko/Gecko_540B3/Gecko_540B3.ini
PARAMETER_FILE=linuxcnc.var
TASK=milltask
HALUI=
DISPLAY=axis
Starting LinuxCNC server program: linuxcncsvr
Loading Real Time OS, RTAPI, and HAL_LIB modules
Starting LinuxCNC IO program: io
Killing task linuxcncsvr, PID=4715
Removing HAL_LIB, RTAPI, and Real Time OS modules
Removing NML shared memory segments

I'll try and get you the output from terminal, but the config.log and kern.log should be attached if you know of what the issue might be.

Thanks again

File Attachment:

File Name: configlog.txt
File Size:56 KB
Attachments:
Last edit: 14 Jun 2013 22:12 by conorm.

More
14 Jun 2013 22:13 - 14 Jun 2013 22:31 #35627 by conorm
I don't think the kern.log went through with the last post, should be attached here.

edit: think the file size was too large.

File Attachment:

File Name: kernlog-6-13.txt
File Size:1,550 KB
Attachments:
Last edit: 14 Jun 2013 22:31 by conorm.

More
14 Jun 2013 22:23 #35629 by ArcEye
Nothing attached, change the name to kern.txt, it will accept anything as .txt extension

Time to create page: 0.103 seconds