linuxcnc 2.5 upgrade on 8.04 hardy offline

More
23 Oct 2014 00:42 #52293 by BigJohnT
The following user(s) said Thank You: mtngun

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Oct 2014 00:52 #52295 by mtngun
Thanks much for the pointer, BigJohnT. I will give it my best shot. :silly:

More
23 Oct 2014 01:24 #52297 by mtngun
Well, I'm attempting to run the 2.3 to 2.4 upgrade now and it seems to be failing.

In particular the Ubuntu downloads are failing.

My designated Ubuntu software source happens to be ftp.unia.it. It's something that worked for me in the past, but it's not working now. :(

More
23 Oct 2014 02:00 #52298 by mtngun
Update: following the tip in this link by Eric66 I did sudo gedit and then opened etc/apt/sources.list.

I commented out my old source and added the following lines:

## EOL upgrade sources.list
# Required
deb old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy main restricted universe multiverse
deb old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy-updates main restricted universe multiverse
deb old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy-security main restricted universe multiverse

That seemed to make it happy and the upgrades seemed to load without error, though I'm not done yet so celebration may be premature. Will report back if I succeed in upgrading to 2.5 :cheer:

More
23 Oct 2014 02:15 #52299 by BigJohnT
There is no Ubuntu downloads needed to upgrade LinuxCNC, so I'm not sure what your doing.

JT

More
23 Oct 2014 02:34 #52301 by mtngun
BigJohnT, when you install 8.04 and follow the instructions to install 2.4, Synaptic Package Manager wants to upgrade all the software on the machine, not just LinuxCNC. Firefox, gimp, etc.. So (unless you point it to the old-releases sources) Synaptic tells you that it failed.

In hindsight, it's possible that I could have ignored the fail alert, done "Mark all Upgrades", and maybe it would have found the 2.4 upgrade even though it couldn't find the other software upgrades.

But for now the "old-releases" trick seems to be working. It's still downloading the upgrades as I type.

More
23 Oct 2014 02:58 #52302 by BigJohnT
Understand now, I wonder if you didn't specifcy a download location that they can be found.

Having said that did you try the 10.04 LiveCD? It is 4 years older than Debian Wheezy.

JT

More
23 Oct 2014 03:10 #52304 by mtngun
Update: the "old-release" sources happily upgraded firefox, gimp, etc., not that I cared about those things. But it would not upgrade to EMC2.4 even though I pointed it to the correct 3rd party software. There was no error given, it's just that nothing happened.

Frustrated, I told Synaptic to remove EMC2.3, then tried to reinstall 2.3 from Synaptic, pointing it to the 2.3 source. No go.

I'll start over with a fresh install of 8.04, but at the moment I'm stumped as to why the 2.4 upgrade didn't "take."

Yes, I did try 10.04 when I first installed LinuxCNC on this machine. 10.04 gave decent latency but choked on one of my Geckos. As I recall 10.04 ran the Gecko 203 fine but stuttered on the 201. I could never figure it out, but the problem went away when I switched to 8.04.

More
23 Oct 2014 03:20 - 23 Oct 2014 03:21 #52305 by BigJohnT
The 201 steps on the falling edge and the 203v steps on the rising edge. So if your using double step (2.4 and up) the 201 will likely not step correctly with the same step/direction timing configuration as the 203v. In addition the 201 has different step and direction timing so the larger of the two will need to be used for both drives.

wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Stepper_Drive_Timing

JT
Last edit: 23 Oct 2014 03:21 by BigJohnT.

More
23 Oct 2014 03:35 #52307 by mtngun
It's been a while since I tried 10.04, but as I recall I did try all sorts of settings for the 201 and nothing worked until I moved to 8.04. Maybe I was doing something wrong but at the time I got the impression that 10.04 just didn't like the Gecko 201.

UPDATE: clean install of 8.04. Followed the instructions to upgrade to 2.4. I noticed the clean install had two sources for 2.3, whereas my old "dirty" install had only one 2.3 source -- apparently I had deleted one of the 2.3 sources and that was the hangup.

ALSO I unchecked all the updates on the SOFTWARE SOURCES / UBUNTU SOFTWARE page. What that did was tell it to ignore the updates for Firefox, Gimp, etc. and only look for the 2.4 update. It worked ! :woohoo:

So now I have 8.04/2.4.

On to 2.5.

Time to create page: 0.380 seconds