Wierd (2 me) issues attempting install touchscreen

More
01 Sep 2014 19:44 #50568 by cncbasher
post the errors to the thread and it can be picked up if need be

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Sep 2014 19:45 #50569 by BigJohnT

Thank you John. I discovered two errors. One omission by error and one omission from copy/paste. Am I supposed to edit that page, or submit them to you? Thanks.

Anyone can edit the pages on the wiki so take charge!

JT

More
01 Sep 2014 21:38 #50574 by Zahnrad Kopf

[Anyone can edit the pages on the wiki so take charge!
JT

Thank you John. I'll go read up and figure it out.

More
01 Sep 2014 21:45 #50575 by Zahnrad Kopf
Anders -

Good to see you over here. :) Yes, I can do that. To be honest I was considering making some changes when I correct my errors anyway, for exactly this reason. I want to make sure that it is clear to even the most uninitiated. I cannot answer your Ubuntu specific questions, but I see that Mick and Dave are already standing by to assist you. I'll post up when I've made the changes and you can tell me if it helps you understand it more clearly. Thanks for the feedback.

More
01 Sep 2014 22:38 - 01 Sep 2014 22:39 #50576 by Zahnrad Kopf
Anders and John -

I've edited the page. Anders, take a look and see if that clarifies anything for you.John, let me know if I screwed anything up worse. Getting the formatting correct was a real pain in the buttockal unit.
Last edit: 01 Sep 2014 22:39 by Zahnrad Kopf.

More
01 Sep 2014 23:15 #50582 by cncbasher
you really did not expect it to be made easy to edit

Dave

More
01 Sep 2014 23:36 #50584 by Zahnrad Kopf

you really did not expect it to be made easy to edit
Dave

Ha ha! Why yes... Yes I did... :) I know... "Silly boy". Ha ha! Thanks Dave.

More
03 Sep 2014 04:39 #50649 by akb1212
AchEye,

I'm using both versions (10.04 and the fresh Debian), each on separate HD's. On 10.04 there is no problems because my touch screen works on that install. No fuss either. Just install evtouch and it worked. Easy and doable for a newbie like me. Calibration works right out of the box, so there was no hurdle what so ever for me with that version of Linux.

But making the touch screen (which is a present day model monitor, not some old outdated stuff) work on this new version of Linux is a whole other thing.

But since Debian seems to be the way to go, and this is a supported version I wanted to use that. For now the touch screen not working is the only thing that keeps me from being able to use this version for LinuxCNC.

I'm a newbie, so I will give you feedback on where things fail from my perspective. And I hope you are able to coach me from there.

First hurdle: gedit doesn't seem to be installed as default in this installation of Linux. I get this message when inputing: sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.lis:

sudo: gedit: command not found

I take it that means that software (gedit) isn't installed as part of this installation ISO. So for the wiki I recommend replacing this with an editor that is in fact installed.
Not knowing what names editors have in Linux I used the list of programs and found mousepad. That worked for me.

Next hurdle. I know it says do this in command, but being unfamiliar and feeling usecure with that I tried to use the GUI version of synaptic to do the steps to install xinput-calibrator.
Now I added the repos from the wiki, but no matter what I did this wasn't working.
So I started to search trhough this thread from the start again searching for more clues. And one clue I found was that the file with the repo mentioned here isn't the same as used by the update manager.
Long story short, when I added the repo as described in the wiki, not using the GUI version I was finally able to install it.....

Next step is: cat /proc/bus/input/devices

My device doesn't show up in the list presented. But I know it's a USB device. From looking around trying to figure out how to make it work I found the command: lsusb
That isn't installed as standard with this install, but I found that easy to install. Using that I found my touch screen to be:

Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0408:3021 Quanta Computer, Inc.

The question is what do I do now. I have found software that are supposed to be compatible with other versions of Quanta touch devices, but this one isn't mentioned. Possibly because it's quite new?

Anyway, I came one step closer now by seemingly being able to install xinput-calibrator. Although it doesn't seem to start. I will do a reboot to check to see if that helps.

Thanks for all the support here. Steep learning curve still, but I feel I'm picking up some information as we go along now. Thankfully.

Anders

More
03 Sep 2014 15:25 #50669 by ArcEye

First hurdle: gedit doesn't seem to be installed as default in this installation of Linux. I get this message when inputing: sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.lis:

sudo: gedit: command not found

I take it that means that software (gedit) isn't installed as part of this installation ISO. So for the wiki I recommend replacing this with an editor that is in fact installed.
Not knowing what names editors have in Linux I used the list of programs and found mousepad. That worked for me.

sudo apt-get install gedit
or
Open synaptic, click search, and put gedit in the search dialog

Long story short, when I added the repo as described in the wiki, not using the GUI version I was finally able to install it.....

If all else fails, follow the instructions :laugh:

My device doesn't show up in the list presented. But I know it's a USB device. From looking around trying to figure out how to make it work I found the command: lsusb
That isn't installed as standard with this install, but I found that easy to install. Using that I found my touch screen to be:

Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0408:3021 Quanta Computer, Inc.

The question is what do I do now. I have found software that are supposed to be compatible with other versions of Quanta touch devices, but this one isn't mentioned. Possibly because it's quite new?

OK, ZK made the wiki about installing a serial ELO touch screen on Wheezy, but it appears you do not have a ELO screen and it is USB?

You will have to say exactly what screen you have, what help I can give will depend upon what info is available, I do not have one myself

regards

More
04 Sep 2014 03:45 #50705 by akb1212
Ok, I admit I'm a newbie.

Which is also why I end up asking all the wrong questions and asking in a way that it's not that easy to answer. And as it shows now, assume I have something I don't.

Yes, I now know that my souch screen is USB, not serial as the wiki is for. But at first I thought it behaved as a serial devide even if it uses USB as interface. The reason for comming to that conclusion is that when making it work in 10.04 I read that some touch screens devices do this, they use a USB interface to transfer a serial protocoll. And the driver I installed had support for that, so I assumed my screen was doint this. This driver just worked BTW, and made everything look simple. But I have come to undestand It's abandoned and not supported after Ubuntu 11.0.

Now if it just was that easy in the present version as well....

I would feel much better if USB versions could also be included in the wiki at some point. After all it's only parts of the installation that are different, and it's not like users with USB touch screens don't have problems. Which I'm a living proop of, unfortunately. So to have a wiki for both kinds of port would be best.

If I'm sucsessfull I'll be happy to share my experiences and the steps I used. But at the moment I'm not able to make it work...

I will put some more effort in to it. But for now I think I will leave it as it is and keep working om making my mill work with the 10.04 install I have a working touch screen on. Both version still works, but the Gmoccapy GUI is so nice with a working touch screen that I'll keep that version for now.

Anders

Time to create page: 0.097 seconds