Upgrade time, What do I need to know first?

More
01 Aug 2014 19:35 #49393 by tjamscad

Quite honestly I am mystified as to how things can be in such a mess on a recently installed system.

Not me, I have gotten good at breaking things.

So If I load the new iso, I can just run from it and test everything out before I brake more stuff.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Aug 2014 19:35 #49394 by tjamscad

Quite honestly I am mystified as to how things can be in such a mess on a recently installed system.

Not me, I have gotten good at breaking things.

So If I load the new iso, I can just run from it and test everything out before I brake more stuff?

More
01 Aug 2014 20:21 #49397 by ArcEye
Yes

You can run a sim, test out that linuxcnc works and runs a program, test latency etc.

You can't test your machine, because we have to get the 2 custom modules built first

linuxcnc-dev is already included.

It would be unusual for a kinematics module to be stand alone, so I suspect that cincikins.c and probably spderror.c are both in the sources of the RIP on your old machine, along with changes to the relevant submakefiles
to build them.

It would probably be easiest if you could zip the whole RIP dir from the old machine and host it somewhere, you can send me an email rather than broadcast where it is.

If I can find the code and see how it is built, we should hopefully be able to reproduce in a RIP of 2.6

regards

More
01 Aug 2014 20:40 - 01 Aug 2014 21:21 #49399 by tjamscad
How do I zip the rip directory?

Can I repair the machine I have been working with first? How?

ArcEye I sent you a link to your email. It should contain everything you asked for.
Last edit: 01 Aug 2014 21:21 by tjamscad.

More
01 Aug 2014 21:57 #49403 by ArcEye
Hi

I got the link and have downloaded it

It contains 5 different RIP builds of emc and a /src folder which contains the source file from one of them or another one

Which RIP build do you go into to start emc on the old machine, ie which is the current one?
emc2-dev appears to have the latest date stamps, some from 2011, is that the one you have been using?

You seem to have answered your first question.

The new machine needs the hybrid.iso of Wheezy installing onto it and testing that works in a sim.

So long as you do nothing to the original computer, you are no worse off than you were to begin with and can always plug that in and use the mill whenever you need to.

I will start looking at the emc-dev RIP whilst waiting for you to confirm that is what you use.

regards
The following user(s) said Thank You: tjamscad

More
01 Aug 2014 22:30 #49404 by ArcEye
OK,

Assuming I am in the right RIP, now getting somewhere.

spdrerrror.comp is a simple component to trigger an operator error warning on a spindle drive fault
That can just be built with halcompile, or inserted into the source under /src/hal/components

cincikins.c IS under /src/emc/kinematics
It probably needs to be built there as it pulls in kinematics.h from that dir

I will download the sources from 2.6 and build them under theWheezy 3.4.9-rtai kernel that you are going to install
The resultant RIP should be able to be copied into your new machine, then hopefully your existing configs will work with minimal tweaking

regards

More
01 Aug 2014 22:32 #49406 by tjamscad
The launcher shortcut is /home/name/emc2-dev/scripts/emc /home/name/emc2/configs/cinci/cinci.ini

More
01 Aug 2014 22:49 #49407 by tjamscad
The launcher shortcut is /home/name/emc2-dev/scripts/emc /home/name/emc2/configs/cinci/cinci.ini

I have gave you edit acces to the drive location. That should allow you to do what needs done.

More
01 Aug 2014 22:49 #49408 by ArcEye

Ok, I am in the right one

I need to set up the install of the hybrid.iso for building, so will all take some time

When you have the iso installed and are happy that linuxcnc works in a sim, run this script as root, or use sudo
it will fetch all the required packages for future building of linuxcnc.
(you will need to rename it build-deps and chmod 755 build-deps to make it executable, it will probably lose the attributes in uploading)

I will be in touch once I have got the code built

regards
Attachments:

More
01 Aug 2014 22:53 - 01 Aug 2014 22:54 #49409 by ArcEye

I have gave you edit acces to the drive location. That should allow you to do what needs done.

I will see if it lets me upload, don't think it will.

We cannot use the old RIP, that is 2.4~pre, I just needed the code for the components and to see how they were being built and linked

If I cannot upload, I will put the resultant zip on my site and send you a URL when it is done

Probably won't be until tomorrow, but that will give you time to get the new machine up and running with Wheezy
Last edit: 01 Aug 2014 22:54 by ArcEye.

Time to create page: 0.318 seconds