install fails

More
19 Jul 2014 11:08 #48928 by roman
install fails was created by roman
Hello everyone,
I'm trying to install from ubuntu-10.04-linuxcnc3-i386.iso. I just created a bootable USB from the ISO file and able to boot and execute "Install Ubuntu 10.04 LTS" desktop icon. However, after I click "install" in step 7 it drops me back to step 5 (create user). When I click "froward" in step 5 the installer throws an error "ubi-migrationassistand crashed" "ubi-migrationassistant failed with exit code 141..." giving me 3 choices to "quit", "continue anyway" and "Try again".
I had an HDD with some partitions on it first. Removed all partitions and left it unpartitioned - no luck. Then I created an ext4 partition, still getting the same error.
One more thing I have noticed is that after I fire up installer I am getting a notification that my root fs "/" is full, which is correct, but since I'm running off of USB I don't think this should matter.
Sorry I can't show you screen shots as the machine is not networked yet.
Please advise.

Thanks,
Roman.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jul 2014 18:15 #48932 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic install fails
Hi

If you google ubi-migrationassistant failed with exit code 141 you will find loads of posts on Ubuntu forums about this installer not working properly.

It is a Ubuntu thing, nothing to do with Linuxcnc.

A common theme appears to be trying to format ext4, have you tried formatting ext2?

Otherwise do you have access to a usb CD drive? I have never bothered trying to install from USB stick, far easier from CD.

regards

More
20 Jul 2014 15:02 #48964 by Zuus
Replied by Zuus on topic install fails
I used rufus to make a bootable usb drive with the 10.04/2.54.

It will want to update a file for usb, I dont recall what it was, then it works as a bootable or install from usb.

Only other thing is to use the advanced partition option in 10.04 so it doesnt put your boot loader on the usb.

More
21 Jul 2014 03:27 #48981 by roman
Replied by roman on topic install fails
Took me a while to go through my pile of old crap to find suitable CD-ROM. Burnt the ISO image and am installing it now.
Apparently, Startup Disk Creator does something funny with the image, rendering it pretty much useless. Thank you for all the responses.

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds