THC config that works.

More
30 May 2014 07:16 - 10 Aug 2019 08:49 #47531 by tommylight

Superseded by :
forum.linuxcnc.org/plasma-laser/35449-another-plasma-component

linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/plasma/plasmac-user-guide.html

Please use the above config for plasma machines as it has all the possible features included.
Thank you PhillC.

forum.linuxcnc.org/plasma-laser/34978-th...-with-how-to?start=0
New configs also located there, including ones for MESA boards.
Still you might want to read through it as it has plenty of useful info.

Here is a config for simple plasma that have the usual UP DOWN ARCOK signals that actually works properly without giving feed errors and moving the Z axes randomly.
It is based on the THC300 config with relaxed timings and properly tested on 2 machines with PROMA THC.
There is a readme and how to file with some explanations for pin and scale and velocity/acceleration setup, so please do let me know if it is understandable.
Regards,
Tom

Edited to add config with HOW TO and README and everything that may be needed to get it working.

Adding some more info on how to start setting up the machine as it might be useful to many who are using THC not only from PROMA Elektronika, but in general.
>>added post heist>>
When you do get to testing it, follow this short procedure so you do not have to hunt around for problems that might arise:
---on the Proma THC (or similar THC)
--set the hysteresis at 2, ( or the lowest value you can set it)
--set the voltage difference at 2 (or 1 again lowest value, this is usually a +-2V so it takes 4V of difference for the torch to move)
--set the voltage to 140
--put it in test mode ( press both buttons till you see TST on the proma, on some others you need to switch it off, hold the middle button and switch it on while holding that button) and check if the UP/DOWN, ARC OK signals are in order and corresponding to up/down arc ok from the THC, visible on the right side of Linucnc
Now on LinuxCNC check the "switch travel" and adjust it accordingly, also the pierce height (GAP)set to 3mm
Press F9, it should move the torch down till it hits the material and continue moving down till it triggers the floating switch, move up to pierce height and fire the torch as shown by the yellow LED on the right side panel of Linuxcnc and wait for ARC OK signal without moving. If all is well, switch on the plasma and test again, it should pierce and start moving Z axis down slowly. Stop with F9 or ESC.
Now set you jog speed to something corresponding to your test metal thickness ( for 3mm--1/8inch set it to 1500mm/m or 60IPM and 40 to 50 Amps) .
Again press F9 and when you get the ARC OK press the arrow keys to move, watch if the torch is going up or down and the aprox distance from the metal. If all is OK, you should have the torch moving to high so just set the THC to a lover voltage and test again.
After 2 or 3 tries you should get nice cuts so now you can move on to testing actual cutting and finding a nice cutting height and feed speed.
Only after all this you can test and set the THC following speed, so set the metal plate at an angle aprox 3 to 4cm high on one side and flat to the table on the other. Do a test cut climbing the plate and dropping down. Set the "step size" on the right side panel of Linuxcnc lower or higher so you get it to follow that slope at a distance of at least 30cm (12inch) smoothly without to much of up/down torch movement.
That is it, now all you need is to set the Amps, feed and rarely voltage on the THC depending on the thickness of the material and the state of consumables.
It will take a bit of testing to get nice clean cuts without to much dross.
If you have problems with unclean cuts and too much dross (also referred to as slag), google for Hypertherm and Mr. Jim Colt, they are absolutely the best at what they do, Hypertherm as a manufacturer all other manufacturers should look up to for tech support for their products, and Jim for his relentless support on the forums and blogs and anything and everything regarding plasma cutting and cutters, he has a wealth of knowledge and he shares it like candy.
With utmost respect,
Tom
Attachments:
Last edit: 10 Aug 2019 08:49 by tommylight. Reason: added more info
The following user(s) said Thank You: jo_key, beefy, thefabricator03

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 May 2014 19:28 #47547 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic THC config that works.
Wow you got the THC300 config to work!

Did you mean to attach the same file twice?

JT

More
31 May 2014 01:16 #47559 by emcPT
Replied by emcPT on topic THC config that works.
I would like to ask if this can be used to move during the cut (during execution mode) the Z axis using two keys. I need to jog the Z manually during a cut in a waterjet machine when the plate is not flat.

Thank you

More
31 May 2014 07:09 #47564 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic THC config that works.

Did you mean to attach the same file twice?

JT

No, i did not but it happened, sorry for that.

More
31 May 2014 07:14 #47565 by tommylight

I would like to ask if this can be used to move during the cut (during execution mode) the Z axis using two keys. I need to jog the Z manually during a cut in a waterjet machine when the plate is not flat.

Thank you

Yes you can, but you need a floating head and and ARCOK signal ( easily done with a switch by hand, or even better connected to pressure sensor since a watterjet must have that). Floating head can be made simply with a piece of drawer slide a switch and a spring.

More
02 Jun 2014 18:05 #47622 by BosniaCNC
Replied by BosniaCNC on topic THC config that works.
Pozdrav Tomo!
Svaka pohvala za tvoj rad jer se retko ko posvećuje eksternim signalima za kontrolu ili pogon dodatnih uredjaja za cnc.
Vidim da ovde (na forumu) moderatori i administratori vode glavnu reč i mi ostali samo postavljamo pitanja i koristimo njihov rad.
Ja sam do sada u radu koristio Mach3 ali sam odlučio da predjem na linuxcnc pa sada pod stare dane (64 godine) učim.
Instalirao sam 10.04 pa dnevno po dva-tri sata provodim za računarom učeći kako sve ovo funkcioniše.
Molio bih te da mi detaljnije objasniš kako da instaliram i pokrenem ovaj tvoj fajl "thc-toma.zip". Raspakovao sam ga u posebnom direktoriju i pomoću geditora pregledao šta piše u fajlovima i to mi je jasno - potrebna je dodatna LPT kartica kao drugi port i ona nije problem.
Meni problem predstavlja što nisam naviknut na sintaksu i načine instalacija u linuxu jer kao što znaš to pod WinXP ide na "setup" ili se u Mach3 urade skripte.
Hvala ti unapred za odgovor i pomoć pa se ponovo "vidimo" ovde.
Pozdrav

More
04 Jun 2014 05:50 - 04 Jun 2014 05:56 #47666 by tommylight
Some more info.
The config works flawlessly so here are some functions that were already implemented and some added.

0- IT does not need 2 parallel ports, just a single one. Granted you don't use limit switches.

1- Absolutely noo need for Z axes anything, so remove anything related to Z axis in Gcode since it will slow down the execution waiting for it, but it will not move the axes, the machine WILL function properly even if you have Z values.

2- The floating switch, if it trips while running in auto mode, it will force an E-stop and halt the machine so try to make the floating switch as sensitive as posible, if the nozle dives into material it will stop everything.

3- It will remember last position so even on power loss you can continue exactly where it left. I added this since where i live power outs are very frequent so it is a life saver ( or material and time saver in this case ).

4- If the plasma cutter stops for any reason ( mine beeing heat due to running full time doing 11meter cut 3 second pause and again 11 meters and..........10 hours a day) it will stop movement and wait for ARCOK. To continue just press F9 and do a right click and "run from here" over the highlighted gcode line. The Z axis will again find the metal and move up and fire the torch and continue as usual.

5- No need for a post processor at all, exept if you need "lead in and lead out", so NO G38.2 or whatever, nothing. Everything works with M3, finding the metal, moving to pierce height firing the torch and moving on.

Gota get some sleep, 1AM here.
Regards,
Tom

This is for BosniaCNC
Pozdrav Bosno.
Ne trebaju ti dva porta, samo jedan ako ne koristis limite. Ne instalira se nista, samo desnim klikom na thc-toma.ini i "open with other application" a tu imas "use custom command" pa samo napisi tu LINUXCNC i OPEN. Nista vise, samo poveri pinove imas objasnjenje na engleskom u istom folderu.
Pozdrav.
Last edit: 04 Jun 2014 05:56 by tommylight. Reason: added some more info
The following user(s) said Thank You: BosniaCNC

More
04 Jun 2014 20:19 #47675 by BosniaCNC
Hvala Tome i želim ti svako dobro i zadovoljstvo u radu.
Ako ti treba nešto u vezi Mach3 javi mi jer ga imam u "malom prstu" pa ću rado pomoći ali već su počeli sa distribucijom Mach4 koji sam već testirao pa mi nije baš nešto. Više su napravili komercijalni trik ali mislim da će im se to olupati o glavu samo dok ga neko "krekne".
Hvala ti još jednom pa se "vidimo" ovde.
Pozdrav,
BosniaCNC

More
04 Jun 2014 21:59 #47676 by emcPT
Replied by emcPT on topic THC config that works.
It would be nice that a effort was made to the language to be English.
I am also interested in this thread.

More
04 Jun 2014 22:21 #47677 by BosniaCNC
@emcPT
It would be nice that a effort was made to the language to be English.
I am also interested in this thread.

When you're writing here in English translation for I use:
translate.google.ba/?hl=hr&tab=wT#en/hr/

We all have the right to use their language with their compatriots. All we know is not so good English language as would be expected from those who have it imposed.
"Hvala Tome i želim ti svako dobro i zadovoljstvo u radu.
Ako ti treba nešto u vezi Mach3 javi mi jer ga imam u "malom prstu" pa ću rado pomoći ali već su počeli sa distribucijom Mach4 koji sam već testirao pa mi nije baš nešto. Više su napravili komercijalni trik ali mislim da će im se to olupati o glavu samo dok ga neko "krekne".
Hvala ti još jednom pa se "vidimo" ovde.
Pozdrav,
BosniaCNC"

translation: (translate.google.ba/?hl=hr&tab=wT#hr/en/)

Thanks Tom, I wish you well and satisfaction in their work.
If you need something to do Mach3 let me know because I have the "little finger" and I'll be happy to help but have already started to distribute Mach4 that I have tested so I was not that good. More have made a commercial gimmick, but I think that'll be it bang on the head only while it is "crack".
Thank you again so that "see" here.
Hello,
BosniaCNC

Dear Portuguese friend receives greetings from the Balkan!!!
BosniaCNC

Time to create page: 0.194 seconds