Homing a dual-motor-for-one-axis gantry machine.

More
17 Apr 2014 04:11 #46004 by DaBit
Not much success using JA4/gentrivkins. Somehow the second/'slave' Y-axis joint motor-pos-cmd stays at 0.

I also still have to define 4 axes?

Here are the config files: dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2762301/SnS_configs_16042014.tar.gz.
The original config is XYYZ. I modified the JA4 config to XYZY to see if it makes a difference (it didn't) so they are not 1:1 comparable.
Also: don't mind the very large FERROR, etc.; these allow me to play with MESA hardware, but without without motors connected. This config has not been used on any hardware anyway.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Apr 2014 04:27 #46007 by andypugh

I also still have to define 4 axes?

I don't think you should need to, but you do need 4 joints.
I believe it should be [TRAJ]AXES = 3, [TRAJ]COORDINATES = XYZ, [KINS] JOINTS=4.

Here are the config files: dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2762301/SnS_configs_16042014.tar.gz.

Try KINEMATICS = gentrivkins coordinates="XYZY"

More
17 Apr 2014 04:40 #46009 by DaBit

I don't think you should need to, but you do need 4 joints.
I believe it should be [TRAJ]AXES = 3, [TRAJ]COORDINATES = XYZ, [KINS] JOINTS=4.

That works. Somewhere in the process I put AXES to 3, and got an error that there was no joint.3. Must have made a mistake elsewhere.

Try KINEMATICS = gentrivkins coordinates="XYZY"

That doesn't work either. joint.1.motor-pos-cmd is changing, joint.3.motor-pos-cmd stays at 0.

More
17 Apr 2014 06:07 #46014 by micges
try also not using [KINS] section while loading kinematics.
Use 'loadrt gentrivkins coordinates="XYZY" '

More
17 Apr 2014 06:35 #46015 by micges
Ok I've got solution.

1. create file .axisrc in your home directory.
2. put in file:
def user_live_update():
    if s.homed[0] and s.homed[1] and s.homed[2] and s.homed[3]:
        if s.motion_mode == linuxcnc.TRAJ_MODE_FREE:
            c.teleop_enable(1)
            print "switched to teleop from .axisrc"
3. restart Axis, then it should jog ok after homing of all 4 joints

More
17 Apr 2014 14:19 #46022 by emcPT
Right now I am retrofitting a water jet cutter that also have 2 servos in the X axis.
After a bit of reading, planning, and considering all options we decided to create a mechanical system that connects both ballscrews to a single motor, instead of having the current two motors.

In this case the decision is probably easy than in your case as the cutting tip does not touch the material to be processed and therefor the motor does not have to make a lot of torque.

The strong points in our decision was:
1 less servo drive
Simple linuxcnc configuration
No homing complication (nightmare)
No possible twisting of gantry (nightmare)

The bad points:
We have to change a bit of the machine mechanics
We will have to use longer timing belts (the original system already use them, but shorter)

More
17 Apr 2014 15:39 - 17 Apr 2014 15:40 #46024 by DaBit

try also not using [KINS] section while loading kinematics.
Use 'loadrt gentrivkins coordinates="XYZY" '

I did that, and also 'loadrt gentrivkins coordinates=XYZY'. No difference; joint.3.motor-pos-cmd stays 0

Ok I've got solution.
1. create file .axisrc in your home directory.

And again: no difference.
motion.teleop-mode is FALSE by the way, and I cannot change it using '$'. I think that the entire teleop/free mode thing is not appropriate anymore when using JA4/gentrivkins?

One more thing: I currently have homing set to 'immediate' (HOME_SEARCH_VEL=0.0) since no hardware is connected yet. Would that make a difference?

Right now I am retrofitting a water jet cutter that also have 2 servos in the X axis.
After a bit of reading, planning, and considering all options we decided to create a mechanical system that connects both ballscrews to a single motor, instead of having the current two motors.

In this case the decision is probably easy than in your case as the cutting tip does not touch the material to be processed and therefor the motor does not have to make a lot of torque.

It depends. In my case most of the torque produced by the servos is used to accelerate/decelerate the rotating and moving mass. Only a very small portion is used for actual cutting.
This is because I am using a highspeed spindle which doesn't produce much torque below 6000rpm and is hardly useable under 3000rpm. So I am limited in choosing endmill size anyway. That doesn't mean low MRR btw: keep the cutter engagement angle low by taking shallow but deep bites and one can increase cutting speed/rpm and feed. Take an AlTiN coated 8mm (3/8") 4-flute endmill for example: 1mm wide/15mm deep cuts at 10000rpm and 2500mm/min (100ipm) feed works pretty well in regular construction steel.

To take full advantage of these 'HSM' toolpaths it does require a somewhat speedy machine though, so a lot of servo torque is used in acceleration/deceleration. And now you also know why I am so happy with rellenbergs improved TP. Makes a huge difference.
Now, I am a shade tree machinist only, but I think this situation is very comparable to your waterjet cutter. Except maybe for the accuracy requirements; I consider the gantry being 0,1mm out of square as 'too much'. And that is pushing the accuracy that can be reached with long timing belts and practical sized pulleys.

No homing complication (nightmare)
No possible twisting of gantry (nightmare)

Yes, and it shouldn't be such a nightmare.
A synchronised homing sequence and a check that the feedback positions of both sides are equal enough should relieve a lot of the pain.
Last edit: 17 Apr 2014 15:40 by DaBit.

More
18 Apr 2014 01:11 #46043 by andypugh

motion.teleop-mode is FALSE by the way, and I cannot change it using '$'. I think that the entire teleop/free mode thing is not appropriate anymore when using JA4/gentrivkins?

It shouldn't be. I think that micges hinted that Axis had its own opinions on the matter.

It might be instructive to try a different user-interface.

Can you set tele-op mode using halui?
(halcmd setp halui.mode.teleop 1)

More
18 Apr 2014 03:15 - 18 Apr 2014 03:33 #46048 by DaBit

It shouldn't be. I think that micges hinted that Axis had its own opinions on the matter.
Can you set tele-op mode using halui?
(halcmd setp halui.mode.teleop 1)

Yes, I can. And it works; I see joint 1 and 3 moving simultaneously. :cheer:

But I figured out one thing: the script given by micges does work. I only didn't press 'home all' since I have no homing configured at the moment (hardware isn't there yet). Once I press 'home all', axis switches to teleop mode and all is fine.
If I do not press 'home all', only joint 1 is moving when jogging the Y axis while joint 3 stays at 0.

When switching to teleop mode by setting halui.mode.teleop to true I cannot home anymore because 'must be in joint mode to home'.

Is this expected behaviour? I suspect it is. And if this is expected behaviour, in what respect is JA4/gentrivkins better than master/gantrykins? It is still outright dangerous that the two Y axis joints can be moved independantly. Let's see: 5,5Nm on a 10mm pitch ballscrew translates to a linear force of ~3kN. With an arm of ~750mm that translates to a twisting torque of 2250Nm. In reality it will be less, but it is still a lot of violence....

It might be instructive to try a different user-interface.

I intend to switch to gmoccapy once things are up and running and I have installed a touch screen. Until then I prefer to stay with axis unless there is a good reason not to....
Last edit: 18 Apr 2014 03:33 by DaBit.

More
18 Apr 2014 05:18 #46050 by andypugh

When switching to teleop mode by setting halui.mode.teleop to true I cannot home anymore because 'must be in joint mode to home'.

Is this expected behaviour? I suspect it is. And if this is expected behaviour, in what respect is JA4/gentrivkins better than master/gantrykins?

I am puzzled by this. My understanding was that gentrivkins is a "trivial" kinematics, there shouldn't be a separate joint mode.
KINEMATICS_TYPE kinematicsType()
  87 {
  88     return KINEMATICS_IDENTITY;
  89 }
This is the same as trivkins, so I don't know what is happening.

> It is still outright dangerous that the two Y axis joints can be moved independantly. [/quote]

And I _thought_ that JA4 and gentrivkins avoided that.

Time to create page: 0.113 seconds