Holding Current

More
29 Aug 2014 22:38 - 30 Aug 2014 20:15 #50484 by pie27
Holding Current was created by pie27
Hi,
I'm new here. I don't know if I should start a new topic so I thought it may be better to ask in this thread.
I have built a delta robot that I want to use as a 3D printer or CNC milling machine. When driving I use a BEAGLEBONE with Bebopr board. As Stepper motor driver I use the pololu DVR8825. Now I noticed that the holding torque of my motor is pretty high so the drivers get very warm. However, I actually needn't this holding torque because my robot holds themselves in position because of the spindle. Is there a possibility in LinuxCNC to eliminate or reduce the holding current?
I am very grateful for any type of help!

p.s. sorry english isn't my first language :whistle: :blush:
Last edit: 30 Aug 2014 20:15 by BigJohnT.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Aug 2014 19:30 #50518 by ArcEye
Hi

The current supplied is a function of the stepper driver, not the controller software, that just outputs the pulse / dir signals.

According to the specs, the pololu DVR8825 has

Adjustable current control lets you set the maximum current output with a potentiometer, which lets you use voltages above your stepper motor’s rated voltage to achieve higher step rates

regards

More
01 Sep 2014 23:11 #50580 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Holding Current

Now I noticed that the holding torque of my motor is pretty high so the drivers get very warm.

If you can touch the motors without actual injury then they are within their allowable temperature range. So you probably don't need to worry too much.

More
03 Sep 2014 01:01 #50642 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Holding Current
Also the stepper motors will be hotter when you don't have them bolted to anything.

JT

Time to create page: 0.133 seconds