2.6 release

More
19 Mar 2014 16:34 #44974 by Diederik
2.6 release was created by Diederik
I'm getting excited about the 2.6 release. I want to start testing it out on my Deckel
How do I apt get it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Mar 2014 17:26 #44975 by Rick G
Replied by Rick G on topic 2.6 release
The following user(s) said Thank You: Diederik

More
19 Mar 2014 20:55 - 24 Mar 2014 21:13 #44980 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic 2.6 release
buildbot.linuxcnc.org/

I'm getting excited about the 2.6 release. I want to start testing it out on my Deckel
How do I apt get it?

There is no 2.6 release yet, the pre-release master version is built here as a binary package
buildbot.linuxcnc.org/dists/lucid/master-rt/binary-i386/

This page will show you the lines to add to /etc/apt/sources.list in order to use apt-get
buildbot.linuxcnc.org

Because it is the master, a development version, it is sometimes broken by new code.
Once you have installed it and it works, there is no benefit to keeping on updating, unless you know that something
you want to try has been added since your last install.

regards
Last edit: 24 Mar 2014 21:13 by ArcEye.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Diederik

• CG0
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
25 Apr 2014 07:23 #46295 by CG0
Replied by CG0 on topic 2.6 release
"Because it is the master, a development version, it is sometimes broken by new code."

That must be what happened to my build :sick:

Although I am updating both ubuntu precise and 2.6/2.7 , so double trouble for me.
My Z axis now has a mind of its own, never returning to zero at the same position, the other 3 axis are fine, at least its on a test bench and doesnt need to make parts atm.
Tested the bob/drivers/steppers on an old xp machine running mach3 and it runs without the error on Z, but not as smooth and fast as my linuxcnc did.

More
25 Apr 2014 20:44 #46311 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic 2.6 release

My Z axis now has a mind of its own, never returning to zero at the same position, the other 3 axis are fine.

It shouldn't be broken in any way that obvious. (And I am fairly confident that it isn't for most people).

Can you give a more detailed description of the problem you are seeing? Including hardware etc.

More
25 Apr 2014 23:30 #46320 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic 2.6 release
What version did you upgrade from?
In 2.3 step timings were in units of base thread periods,
not the current nS units, so if you used the same HAL/INI
file settings you may be violating your step drive timings...

• CG0
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
26 Apr 2014 04:39 #46328 by CG0
Sorry for the hyjacking of this thread...
I started with 10.04 / 2.5 cnc from the main page, all worked but my pc hardware wasnt supported by ubuntu 10.04
Mb is h81 chipset which even on 10.04 it did run perfect, but would not shut down correctly. Just missed the hardware cutoff date.

I am using the LinuxCNC on Ubuntu Precise install now.
Everything was working great a few months back when I first installed this.
I just couldnt leave things alone so I continued to update the machine software (ubuntu and linuxcnc), which is ok since everything is in a testing state.

One of the updates within the past two weeks I noticed the problem, on Z only the machine does not return to 0 in the same spot.
I have a pulse DRO hooked into the machine, linuxcnc readout says the stepper moved 2 inches , the DRO says 1.373 , then moving back to 0, linuxcnc says 0 but the DRO will say .346, these are made up numbers but each time I jog 2 inches back and forth the machine DRO reads a different number but only on the Z, linuxcnc says 0 and 2.0000 always.

The X,Y,A axis all jog 2 inches (A=degrees) in both linuxcnc and the DRO readout.
====================================================================================================================================

Writing this I may have discovered something, in the stepconf max velocity is in/s while in axis at the bottom it is in/min , looking at the ini it was converted automatically in earlier 2.5/2.6 releases.
With the latest build Im using it appears that this is not getting converted, my error for not looking at the scale, but I would have never caught it without starting a "test machine config"
I was using 348 which in the ini was 5.8, now I think it uses the 348 number if that is what I typed into the stepconf instead of converting it ( again my error for not looking at the scale) :ohmy:

While the machine runs ok other than Z , this is probably what has gone wrong and its just running "wide open" when the machine is jogged, that could explain why it still would function ok running code.
2 + 2 = I noticed at the bottom of axis the new max is 20880 in my test config, the old original config still says 348 in/min max velocity but Im betting its not since both new and old have the same error on Z.

I will try another test config but I think Ive found whats going on.

Thanks for the help

• CG0
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
28 Apr 2014 08:41 #46410 by CG0
Update :

The problem is still there at least on the DRO. The numbers grow in the direction of movement, so it looks like this, move 2 inches, dro says 1.3, move back to 0 and dro is at .3, move 2 and dro is 1.6 , back to 0 dro says .5, after about 10 jogs 0 is 2 inches out. Like I said before this is only affecting Z and linuxcnc says 0 and 2 always. The steppers sound good while running but the drives are digital so they could be cleaning up the signals, I dont know atm.

I added another harddrive and put win7 and mach3 on the pc and it runs without the error.

Not sure what changed with either ubuntu or linuxcnc, it looks like I will need a scope and indicator now.

One other thing that may have messed up my install was I ran the autoupdate in ubuntu which tries to update the wrong linux.
I can reinstall linux again to test that the problem, only takes about 10 minutes.

More
28 Apr 2014 16:18 #46422 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic 2.6 release

The problem is still there at least on the DRO. The numbers grow in the direction of movement, so it looks like this, move 2 inches, dro says 1.3, move back to 0 and dro is at .3, move 2 and dro is 1.6 , back to 0 dro says .5, after about 10 jogs 0 is 2 inches out.

Do you see the same problem if you issue a G1 move of 2in, or a G0?

Wheel-jogging does put a rather "jagged" move into the system, so it your accel limits are marginal this could cause the steppers to miss steps.
What is a bit puzzling, though, is that it looks like your axes are moving _further_ than LinuxCNC has issued steps for?

• CG0
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
29 Apr 2014 12:41 #46454 by CG0
The configuration is the same for XYZ . Nothing was changed other than I updated with auto update from ubuntu , but I also used the terminal commands from the wiki page, updating both ubuntu and linuxcnc.
I am using axis and I have the first step option from the pull down set as 2 inches, the rate is 35 ipm, I was pushing the + - buttons to move XYZA.

I ordered some parts and should have them next week, I will be able to check movement and accuracy much better then.

Time to create page: 0.207 seconds