CNC Machine with Resolver (7i49)

More
28 Apr 2013 22:23 #33338 by simon n.
Hello,

i am a student from germany, so my english may be quite hard to understand, but i'll give it a try. :)

We are working on a project with a CNC machine recently. Its from Heller out of the 80's.

It is equipped with an old Sinumerik Sprint 8 M from Siemens for its control, we intend to exchange the Sinumerik with a PC which's OS is based on Ubuntu--> LinuxCNC. The CNC machine has 3 Axis (X-Y-Z) and 1 extra Axis for the component on the table to spin. The Position of the Axis (X,Y,Z) is monitored with a Resolver for each Axis. All drives (motor) are Servos.

Our Ubuntu Version is 10.04, we use EMC 2.5 and we downloaded the Life CD from this page (linuxcnc.org) and did the standard installation with it.

We use a 5i22 FPGA card with 4 Mesa daughtercards to handle the signals from the machine. We have 2 I/O cards --> 7i37, 1 encoder card --> 7i48 and 1 resolver card --> 7i49 connected to the FPGA card in the PCI socket.

We used the support software from mesanet.com for our FPGA card to handle the hostmot2. We already isolated a CPU just for LinuxCNC for a better performance in RT (better performance in latency test).

Right now we are trying to build a config with the Pncconfig wizard. in this wizard there are many parameters to set, we worked them through until it asked us wich firmware we want to use with our 5i22 and how many encoder/PWMgen/Stepgen we want to use with the daughtercards. Right next to it there is a sanity check displayed, but it does not contain the 7i49 resolver card. It ends with the 7i48 encoder card.

It also didn't ask for the number of resolver, it just wants to know how many encoder we want to use for our CNC machine.

We looked up the help function and it told us this:

RESOLVER - a resolver encoder counter
used with MESA 7i49 daughter board with special firmware
Some servos have resolvers rather then quadrature encoders

So we need a special firmware!? We looked up what is supported with the Hostmot2 firmware, it said something about Resmod in Hostmot2, so we implemented this Resmod in the Hostmot2 folder but nothing changed in pncconfig it never asked for resolver or the Mesa 7i49!

So we want to know if there is a firmware already build for this issue that we can just copy it to our folder?! Or do we have to build an own firmware to be able to use the 7i49? And if we have to build one on our own, what would be the best thing we should start with?

I hope i explained it understandable, my english is not the best, i barely have to use it so iam not good with it at all.

Best regards

Simon N.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Apr 2013 23:18 #33342 by BigJohnT
This does seem to be a pncconf question do you mind if I move it there so it gets Chris's attention?

John

More
29 Apr 2013 02:22 - 29 Apr 2013 02:22 #33348 by PCW
There is no current firmware for the 5I22
that has both a 7I49 and a 7I48.
But it is easy to make (some cut/pastes to make a
new pinout file and re-compile).

I can do this on Monday

What size 5I22 (what model) do you have?
Last edit: 29 Apr 2013 02:22 by PCW.
The following user(s) said Thank You: simon n.

More
29 Apr 2013 02:59 #33350 by simon n.
I would appreciate that. If you want to move it into an other thread, feel free to do so :).

i am not quite sure which version it is, i think it was the 5i22 1.5 (big) but iam not sure, i would look it up tomorrow, when i am at the university again.

Would be a great help if you could do that.

Best regards

Simon N.

More
29 Apr 2013 06:47 #33358 by andypugh

It also didn't ask for the number of resolver, it just wants to know how many encoder we want to use for our CNC machine. .

I am not sure if Pncconf knows about Resolvers.

However, Resolvers in HAL have all the same pins as encoders, so you can create an encoder configuration, and then just change "encoder" to "resolver". You will need to change the firmware references in the INI file to a version with resolvers, though. (If you start Pncconf with a resolver firmware specified you may end up with no encoders _or_ resolvers)

I have a working 4-axis Mill with resolvers and 7i49, I can let you have the HAL file to look at if you want. However it is not using the 7i49 analog outputs to drive the servos, I have 8i20 drivers.

More
29 Apr 2013 18:34 #33378 by BigJohnT

I would appreciate that. If you want to move it into an other thread, feel free to do so :).

The thread has moved away from pcnconf questions so it doesn't make sense to move it now.

John

More
30 Apr 2013 05:32 #33411 by PCW
freeby.mesanet.com/sv12_7i48_7i49.zip
is the bit and pin files and a XML file that might be close to what pncconf wants
The following user(s) said Thank You: simon n.

More
01 May 2013 00:46 #33463 by simon n.
Thanks, i'll test it on thursday!

Great moderation in this forum, great work!

More
14 May 2013 17:27 - 14 May 2013 17:28 #34058 by simon n.
Hello again,

we tried the firmware with the resolvers and it seems to be working, but now the sockets 4 and 5 are empty so that we could not put our digital signals in it. How can we add these pins to the xml? We tried to gedit the file, but then the pncconfig wizard fails in the process. Do we need to change the .PIN file too or the .BIT file?

We also can not open or edit the .BIT file, is there a special software needed for it?

our FPGA card is 5i22-1.

Best regards

Simon N.
Last edit: 14 May 2013 17:28 by simon n..

More
14 May 2013 17:59 #34063 by andypugh

we tried the firmware with the resolvers and it seems to be working, but now the sockets 4 and 5 are empty so that we could not put our digital signals in it. How can we add these pins to the xml? We tried to gedit the file, but then the pncconfig wizard fails in the process. Do we need to change the .PIN file too or the .BIT file?

I suspect that the most straightforward way will be to hand-edit the HAL file. For anything other than a very conventional setup PNCConf is probably going to cause as many problems as it solves.

We also can not open or edit the .BIT file, is there a special software needed for it?

The .BIT file is just a binary dump of the FPGA contents. There is nothing you can do with it other than download it onto the 5i22.

Time to create page: 0.154 seconds