switching from Teksoft Procam2 to LinuxCNC

More
15 Apr 2014 00:21 #45943 by Rposty
Hi Everyone, I tried searching, didn't see any threads on Procam2, I am brand new to LinuxCNC so go easy on me please (or not).

Anyway, anyone ever gone from Teksoft Procam2 (now camworks I think) to CNCLinux? I am the guy who fixes the machines, I am not a programmer. We are currently running everything on Windows XP, I want to see if I can make the switch to Linux based. I am really tired of not looking forward to Microsoft upgrades.

Any helpful lnks to threads that will help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Apr 2014 01:35 #45946 by PCW
There seems to be a Camworks mill post here:
wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Cam_Post

More
15 Apr 2014 03:57 #45951 by andypugh

Anyway, anyone ever gone from Teksoft Procam2 (now camworks I think) to CNCLinux?

I am confused by the word "switching"

LinuxCNC is a CNC controller, not a CAM system. ProCAM and CAMworks are CAM systems.

if you are looking for a Linux-based CAM system then LinuxCNC is not what you need, and the choice of CAM systems on Linux isn't particularly good.

More
15 Apr 2014 04:15 #45954 by Rposty
Oh, I am probably in wrong place then. I followed some links I found googling Camworks replacement (tried Procam2 but only got camera links).

Basically what I am trying to accomplish is finding a Linux based version of Procam2 and Autocad LT, or get those to somehow work on a Linux based Platform Like Ubuntu or Linux Mint so we can get away from Microsoft. I have never done anything like this, so at the very least I should learn Something.

So LinuxCNC is a CNC controller? We do have a very old Dos 6.22 Anorad Controller we currently Use on our Industrial CO2 Lasers that moves parts under a fixed laser beam on a 2 axis ballscrew system. I will have to look into this next, the Dos 6.22 system is very limited.

More
15 Apr 2014 04:45 - 15 Apr 2014 04:55 #45955 by andypugh

Basically what I am trying to accomplish is finding a Linux based version of Procam2 and Autocad LT, or get those to somehow work on a Linux based Platform Like Ubuntu or Linux Mint

There are a few 2D CAD options on Linux. For Open Source take a look at:
www.freecadweb.org (Which is actually 3D)
www.3ds.com/products-services/draftsight/overview/ (Linux, free, and from the CATIA people)
[edit] Google just reminded me of librecad.org/cms/home.html
There is a review of a few more here:
www.techdrivein.com/2011/08/8-best-cad-apps-for-linux.html

For CAM the only ones that I know of that run under Linux are PyCAM (rather slow), SheetCAM (2D for plasma etc, can be used for 2.5D with work) and CamBam (Not free, but fairly cheap. I have been using it with some success)
www.cambam.info/ref/ref.linux
www.sheetcam.com/downloads

I don;t know what the current status is of HeeksCAD. That was a 3D modeller and had HeeksCNC as a CAM option.
heeks.net

So LinuxCNC is a CNC controller? We do have a very old Dos 6.22 Anorad Controller we currently Use on our Industrial CO2 Lasers that moves parts under a fixed laser beam on a 2 axis ballscrew system. I will have to look into this next, the Dos 6.22 system is very limited.

Now that is exactly where LinuxCNC can probably help you.
Last edit: 15 Apr 2014 04:55 by andypugh.

Moderators: Skullworks
Time to create page: 0.165 seconds