NEWS
2.6 Live+Install image

Announcing a new Live+Install DVD image for installing LinuxCNC 2.6 on Debian Wheezy. Instructions here.

LinuxCNC 2.6.3 is released

Several bugs fixed, see the change log.

LinuxCNC 2.6.2 Released

Bug fix see the change log.

Home Forum Hardware & Machines CNC Machines Mechanical Touch Off Tool Recommendation

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Mechanical Touch Off Tool Recommendation

Re:Mechanical Touch Off Tool Recommendation 18 May 2012 04:16 #20202

• andypugh
  • Thank you received: 484
crmorano wrote:
What is a good mechanical touch off/home switch tool that I can put between the stage and the tool to use as a home switch that will give me a fixed height within the system every time that does not require conducting through the tool?.

You could make something like the Renishaw patent devices, with three rods and 6 balls. That has the advantage that you can choose a spring to suit your tool force.
www.indoor.flyer.co.uk/probe.htm
Alternatively, you might be able to use one of the dial-indicator style devices:
www.ebay.com/itm/261024222481
Or possibly this
www.ebay.com/itm/150802223742 though that specifies "conductive" so an enquiry might be needed. I have bought a fair bit of stuff from CTC in HongKong.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Mechanical Touch Off Tool Recommendation 18 May 2012 04:30 #20203

• BigJohnT
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 262
I use and like the Edge Technologies touch off gauge on my mill but I think I purchased it directly from Edge

www.edgetechnologyproducts.com/

John

Re:Mechanical Touch Off Tool Recommendation 18 May 2012 05:01 #20204

• crmorano
  • Fresh Boarder
I think I want to avoid having to actually make something, as I can think of exactly how I would make it, but don't have enough time.

While I don't know exact forces behind it, the tool itself is robust enough (Assuming you go slow, which is easy enough to do) that it can exert a decent amount of force as long as it isn't being pushed into something hard.

I'm hoping that someone has, for relatively cheap (The only one I found was $1250 from Centroid www.centroidcnc.com/cnc_tool_set.html), a spring loaded switch that always actuates at the same known place and can be connected to EMC to act as the home switch for Z. The company has tried both of the tools listed by andypugh. However, I'm trying to remove the human factor from this, except the need to place the switch and take it away once Z is zeroed, since it would save a bit of time when things get swapped around.

Edit: Another good example of what I am thinking of is for a manual/semi-automatic tool change in a CNC process that I've seen, where the system lowers the tool down to know the length of the tool once the tool is complete, then returns to milling. It just needs to be non-conductive though, which I don't think was the case here.
Last Edit: 18 May 2012 05:11 by crmorano.

Re:Mechanical Touch Off Tool Recommendation 18 May 2012 17:07 #20218

• andypugh
  • Thank you received: 484
crmorano wrote:
I think I want to avoid having to actually make something, as I can think of exactly how I would make it, but don't have enough time..

Maybe something like this:
uk.rs-online.com/web/p/precision-position-switches/4460254/
That one appears to have a zirconium plunger and a repeatability of 0.0001mm

There appear to be ruby plunger options.

Not cheap, but all there basically.

Re:Mechanical Touch Off Tool Recommendation 28 Aug 2012 05:51 #23711

• Chipmunk
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi;

I made a simple device for accurately gauging the hight of the cutting edge of a tool bit above the work surface using a piece of 1/2 inch round stock. I cut a piece of this stock 1 inch long. I then drilled a off center hole in it 5/16 inch in diameter. You now have a piece of stock that will always roll to the heavy side. Prop this device against your tool bit with the heavy side up. Now slowly raise your tool bit; when the clearance is the diameter of stock the device will automatically role roll to the heavy side. The distance between the tool bit and the work will be the diameter of the stock.

ps Make sure that the material you use for your round stock is non magnetic as any magnetism will affect the accuracy of the device.
  • Page:
Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.796 seconds