beginner lathe conversion .

More
02 Aug 2014 02:51 #49417 by skeeter
Replied by skeeter on topic beginner lathe conversion .
Hi, Andy . I need a recommendation for a video card for this computer I have . Something simple new I hope that I can buy . Been searching thru a bin of used at my local computer store . Haven't found anything that has worked . It has to be a pci . I guess I have to say this part is a PTIA . I downloaded the 10.04 with 2.5 linux cnc all together computer wont come up . Doesen't like onboard video card . The help of forum would appreciated . Perhaps I need to start with a different computer ???

Please Advise
Terry

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Aug 2014 03:26 #49418 by andypugh

I downloaded the 10.04 with 2.5 linux cnc all together computer wont come up .

Well, first of all try the 2.6 that was just released with new kernels. Either try an install on Debian Wheezy, or go for Ubuntu 12.04
wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?UpdatingTo2.6
The following user(s) said Thank You: skeeter

More
02 Aug 2014 05:48 #49420 by skeeter
Hi,Andy .I will get to it

I have a live dvd of 12.04 I put this in my computer and it came up with the onboard video card went to net worked fine . So I know that works .

Can I start the install from the dvd and then go out to the web and get all the updates ? RIGHT
Or do I need the installer ?

Have patience I am a beginner at this Buddy .

Then do the keyring thing for the 2.6 ? This looks complicated just don't want to screw up .

Thanks

Terry

More
02 Aug 2014 05:55 #49421 by andypugh

Then do the keyring thing for the 2.6 ? This looks complicated just don't want to screw up

I haven't actually tried the new build myself yet. (I have been using the bleeding-edge version all the way through) so perhaps surprisingly I don't know what you would expect.

But, it's a computer. If you mess up, you start from scratch and no harm is done.

More
02 Aug 2014 06:03 #49422 by skeeter
so go ahead from dvd right or is there a program with 12.04 and 2.6 all compiled and ready to go ?

Thanks andy

More
02 Aug 2014 07:30 #49424 by andypugh

so go ahead from dvd right or is there a program with 12.04 and 2.6 all compiled and ready to go ?

Slightly sketchy instructions here; wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Hybrid_Iso

More
02 Aug 2014 08:22 #49426 by skeeter
Hi Andy , I have put 12.04 on my cnc box . It is updating now . I guess then on to 2.6 . I wiped out xp that was on this computer . Oh what a relief it is LOL . Hope to get this 2.6 on as easy as 12.04 has went . If I just down load 2.6 onto my desktop and open from there will it work the same ??

Thanks Andy
Terry

More
07 Aug 2014 03:15 #49567 by skeeter
Hi Andy . I am typing in the exact lines in a terminal window and I am getting a response back cant find rtai modules3.4-9-rtai-686-pae
So what do I do now ?????
everything else previous to this went ok . Checked how i typed and all correct .
Let me know please or someone else .

Thank You
Terry

More
08 Aug 2014 22:00 #49601 by skeeter
Hi Folks . I have a working box now . Debian wheezy 7 and linuxcnc2.6 . Latency numbers look good . Now how to best wire up some steppers to control them ?? . I still have this hybrid distro on dvd haven"t installed to HD yet but works .

BTW what is a hybrid as compared to other distros ?

I am interested in learning how to do the building of a distro linux plus cnc are there any tutorials or books on this subject for a rank ameteur like myself . Also the command line use and commands . I want to learn this too .

I feel I am making some progress now . Thank you

Terry

More
10 Aug 2014 19:02 #49653 by andypugh

Also the command line use and commands . I want to learn this too

Do you mean the LinuxCNC command line or the Linux command line in general?

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.106 seconds