22 Mar 2014 22:31 #45099 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Converting a Boxford 250B
You might plot
Spindle RPS
Z velocity
X Position
(triggered by index enable going false)

in halscope to see exactly whats going on

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Mar 2014 05:43 #45119 by Einar
Replied by Einar on topic Converting a Boxford 250B
I will try to turn LH threads tomorrow. Maybe there is a bug in the code that bite only in rear tool mode.
Or of course that my parameters are wrong. I'm in "let's try this mode" when it comes to lathe CNC.
Anyway the fact that G33 seems to synchronize fine is encouraging.
It does make it possible for me to make "pig pr!cks" for polishing spindles. I can't do that on my manual lathe.

I will also try to plot those variables if I can find them.

I have made some threads today that are worthy to be displayed in my collection of weird mechanics. :laugh:

More
25 Mar 2014 04:07 - 25 Mar 2014 04:08 #45204 by Einar
B) :laugh: :P :silly:
Today I went for a new attempt. This time threading 16mmx2 and the nut spins on just fine! It looks as the run-in is very short now. That I can't say for sure as I left 10mm of diameter at the beginning of the cut that is barely scored. I don't have too many threading tools.

So what did I do to fix it? I don't really know. The only difference I can see is in the diameter and pitch. I will get back to it later and see if I just hit a sore spot.

For now, I'll just leave it as it is and finally try to get some 8mm arbors made for my Emco toolpost grinders. That's why I bought the lathe.

Not really. I have steam engine and car parts to make.

Next up is the coolant pump and peppering the hood with LED's. My eyesight needs more light than they did.
Last edit: 25 Mar 2014 04:08 by Einar.

More
25 Mar 2014 07:54 #45212 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Converting a Boxford 250B

Next up is the coolant pump and peppering the hood with LED's. My eyesight needs more light than they did.

www.ikea.com/no/no/catalog/products/60213782/#/50163202

They come with a 4V PSU, but are regulated internally and run fine on 5V.

I have two on my mill.

More
07 Dec 2015 17:26 #66561 by Einar
I have not been using the lathe lately as I had a leakage in the roof of my cottage that led to lots of work.

But now back to the Boxford, I cannot get the tool changer set up correctly. That was not a problem before, and I did not write down the exact procedure. I touch off tool 1, then tool 3. And if I just go back to tool 1 and go back to the touch off coordinates it ends up not there.

Do I need to follow each M6T<number> with a G34, or is it OK as long as the G34 is listed in the "active G-codes" ?

Are the offsets in the tool table relative to the home position, or something else?

Where should I start reading to understand this?
I tried the documentation, but that did not work in my case. Either I'm too dense, or the doc assume something I did not know.

The most frustrating is that I had no such problems before.
I even ran a test to check the cause was not lost steps. But if I go back to the last tool I was setting (tool 3), that will just rub off the sharpie ink as it should do. Even after lots of G0's both short and long moves.

More
07 Dec 2015 17:28 #66563 by andypugh

Do I need to follow each M6T<number> with a G34, or is it OK as long as the G34 is listed in the "active G-codes" ?.

The code is G43, and you do need a G43 after each M6.

(unless you are using a remapped M6. or a remapped T)

More
07 Dec 2015 17:46 #66565 by Einar
Yes, I meant G43. That's what I used, but not for each tool change. I will go try again.

Thanks for a quick reply ( 2 minutes!! Wow! )
Would such a remap be easy to do, and does it have any disadvantages?

More
07 Dec 2015 17:50 #66567 by andypugh

Would such a remap be easy to do, and does it have any disadvantages?

It isn't super-hard .

Have a look at the lathe-fanucy config under sim/axis in the sample configs.
That performs a toolchange and applies offsets with just a T-command.

So, T07 has the same effect as M6 T6 G43 H6
Possibly more importantly T0707 has the same effect as T7 M6 G43 H7 G43.1 H10007
(ie, it allows you to store wear-offsets in the tool table too)

More
07 Dec 2015 20:29 #66579 by Einar
Thanks again. The tool table looks fine now. Yet another arbor for my Emco toolpost grinders made. Those are my test pieces. I have a lot of them now. I should start making breaker pins for my snow thrower instead. Those are needed in volume as it finds the items I forgot to remove before the snow season.

More
20 Apr 2016 22:21 #73663 by Einar
And I am still confused regarding the tool setup. :(
Today I put a new tool in pos. 7.
Homed X,Z and tool turret.
Selected M6 T1 G43 (current tool).
Faced a sliver off a bar. Set Z (G54) to 0.
Turned diameter and set diameter same way. (Homing is quite accurate, so practically no change.).
Now the DRO's show where the tool is. Or rather what I expect, as it shows diameter, not tool position. Which is what I want.
So: M6T7G43, it goes to the tool change position and rotate tool 7 in position.
I then jog the tool down to the bar close to the face and slowly up to it, checking with feeler gauges. Stop at 0.08mm distance.
Then select Z and enter tool offset (bottom choice in touch off menu) set to 0.08.
The DRO now shows 28.something. Is it not supposed to jump to 0.08?

Another item is tool orientation:
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/lathe/lathe-user.html says nothing about back tool position (as I have).
But the Wiki does:
wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?BackToolLathe
Which do I follow?
And what face of the tool is frontangle and backangle?
Documentation says"The FRONTANGLE and BACKANGLE are clockwise starting at a line parallel to Z+."
But the illustration in the manual shows them the other way around for tool position 5 where backangle leads frontangle in the clockwise direction.

Yet another strange thing is that the V indication showing the tool in Axis is present for some tools and for others not. Could this be because of my confusion regarding the above? It is in completely out of whack after me trying the different flavors of documentation and my (mis)understanding of it.

And it seems if I want to have the tooltable edit window I have to open it before doing much else or it will not open.

I'm still on 2.6/Ubuntu10.4 as my touchscreen does not work in 2.7/Debian.

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.107 seconds