Netmos MCS9865?

More
16 May 2011 10:03 #9842 by grobinson6000
Has anyone had experience getting a parallel pci card based on this MCS9865 chip to work with EMC2 on Ubuntu 10.04?
When querying lspci -v I get the following, which seems to indicate the card has been recognised only as a serial adapter:

02:0a.0 Serial controller: Device 4348:5053 (rev 10) (prog-if 02)
Subsystem: Device 4348:5053
Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 11
I/O ports at d800
I/O ports at d400
Kernel driver in use: serial

lspci -vv does not show any additional disabled ports.

/proc/ioports contains the following relevant details:

b800-b807 : 0000:02:0b.0
d000-d007 : 0000:02:0b.0
d000-d007 : serial
d400-d407 : 0000:02:0a.0
d800-d807 : 0000:02:0a.0
d800-d807 : serial

I've tried following the instructions provided with the card (on a cd), those on the Netmos website, and those in the integrator manual, but I can't seem to find a fix.

Is it possible to force a kernel driver on a particular card? It seems this one has only been recognised as a generic serial device for some reason.
Would it be worthwhile trying an older release of ubuntu (8.04 is also available for emc).

If it's dodgy hardware, I'll go buy something real instead! I do like the challenge of fighting for life though...

Any pointers would be much appreciated, and maybe this will help the next guy too.

Thanks,
George

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 May 2011 11:41 #9843 by PKM
Replied by PKM on topic Re:Netmos MCS9865?
I have a similar card which is detected as serial port, probably on this chip. Tried to install drivers etc - no success.
No need to worry about drivers or buy another card! It's very simple.
Use address 0xd400 or 0xd800 for your parport (check both), it works fine!

More
17 May 2011 09:36 #9858 by Mike_Eitel
Replied by Mike_Eitel on topic Re:Netmos MCS9865?
Did you followed: ( I copied from different www sources )

Error when starting EMC:

insmod: error inserting '/home/jepler/src/emc2/rtlib/hal_parport.ko': -1 Device or resource busy

If you encounter this problem, you must make sure that the Linux kernel module parport_pc is not loaded at boot time.
On Ubuntu systems, you can do this by creating a file in /etc/modprobe.d/ with the one line

install parport_pc /bin/true

The EMC2 packages put this line in the file /etc/modprobe.d/emc2.

EMC appears to start, but no signals ever appear on the parallel port (the motors don't turn).
Add the following command before the line loading hal_parport in your hal file.

loadrt probe_parport

The Linux parallel port driver must be completely disabled for EMC's hal_parport driver to load.
However, as we learned after the release of 2.0.1, this disabled certain parallel ports that are "PNP" (plug and play) devices.
The new probe_parport realtime module performs the probing for one type of PNP port.

Find adresses of recognized PCI cards:
lspci -v

AND P.S.
Yes mine are all "detected " as serial devices, but work supper as parallel.
Mike

More
17 May 2011 12:17 #9868 by grobinson6000
Replied by grobinson6000 on topic Re:Netmos MCS9865?
Thanks PKM and Mike -
I've tried both solutions.

Firstly, I used the parport test app to check telling hal to just use those hardware addresses:
* When I tell HAL to use those addresses as is, it throws up the 'device or resource busy' error.
* The mboard parport at 0x378 works fine under exactly the same circumstances

I then added the 'probe_parport' line at the top of the hal file and got the same error - it seems the probe command didn't find/affect these ports.

I'm convinced that ubuntu is gobbling up these devices as serial ports, and they're now not available for the hal driver to use.
Any thoughts on how to disable serial ports entirely on my machine? Perhaps even get rid of PNP to test?

I'll continue battling!

Thanks,
George

More
17 May 2011 12:58 #9870 by Mike_Eitel
Replied by Mike_Eitel on topic Re:Netmos MCS9865?
Another thing I had once:

I got problems with interrupts in PCI / BIOS

Disabling all interupts of devices I didn't needed
tataaa per a sudden the same configuration worked fine..
have to say I got the card working but only after that mdificatio n it was working correctly in INPUT modus.
before it always stayed in OUTPUT mode.

mike

Time to create page: 0.163 seconds