Current controller computer recommendations

More
22 Oct 2014 00:12 #52248 by Gearhack
Hey all,

I'm having trouble finding information on suitable cpu/motherboards. Is there a repository of up to date opinions?

Yes, there is the latency test web page, but without any date or availability data, it is just not much use. Most of the entries are old dead ends.

It would sure be nice to know what the LinuxCNC "Pros" are buying and using NOW.

I'm not a linux programmer or a PC analyst, I just want someone to to tell me what to buy so I can get on with making my machines.

Thanks,
--Justin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Oct 2014 07:00 #52261 by mungkie
My guess is that PC type computers will become second choice to ARM machines in the near future.

Try a beaglebone I imagine it should be cheaper and better than buying a PC, probably best to wait a few months for machinekit to stabilise thought.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gearhack

More
22 Oct 2014 07:24 - 22 Oct 2014 17:51 #52262 by PCW
www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item...13-138-412-_-Product

Is a decent current motherboard. It has a parallel port header on the motherboard

The Intel J1800 and J1900 motherboards are nice fast and low power but the current RTAI
kernel shipped with wheezy wont work with their USB hardware (this is being worked on currently)

Almost all Intel core-duo and later or up to date AMD motherboards work also

What hardware you use depends to large extent on what you are doing

If you have simple needs, step/dir only and no fancy graphics the beaglebone route may be OK

If you have a complicated hal file (say with classic ladder) or want quick graphics or have a full servo system
pick a fast PC
Last edit: 22 Oct 2014 17:51 by PCW.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gearhack

More
22 Oct 2014 08:21 - 22 Oct 2014 09:14 #52263 by Gearhack
Mungkie,
I've been looking at the Beaglebones, but as you say, they have some stabilizing/simplifying to have done before they are down to my level. I see they 3D printer community is driving their development -- I hope the old fashioned CNC is not trimmed.

Thanks for your opinion -- it really helps to hear more perspectives.
--Justin
Last edit: 22 Oct 2014 09:14 by Gearhack. Reason: typo

More
22 Oct 2014 08:37 #52264 by Gearhack
PCW,
Thanks for the link.

I'm doing vanilla CNC turning and milling -- 2, 3, 4, 5, and every once in a while 6 independent axes. Sherline machines with Sherline/Mumford and Gecko drivers.
I tend to have a lot of parameters, inline calculations, and loops/tests, in my very short programs.

I just use the bundled Axis GUI. I guess that qualifies as "fancy"?

I wish the Latency Test page would get a couple more columns -- dates, availability, and popularity.

Price is not the limiting factor -- I've spend a lot more on the machines and drivers than any motherboard is likely to cost.

Your suggestions are very helpful.

Thanks,
--Justin

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds