Odroid-XU

More
14 Mar 2014 03:32 - 14 Mar 2014 03:35 #44779 by dracozny
Odroid-XU was created by dracozny
as usual I probably bite off more than I can chew with my ideas. anyone play with this beast of embedded boards ?

Curiosity killed the cat with an 8 core ARM processor. I know the wiki only seams to cover the beagle bone and raspberri pi. The xenomai project only seems to make mention of the much older and no longer supported odroid-pc.

This board does have a 30pin expansion port that supports SPI, GPIO, UART, and ADC.
(benchmarks are only a fraction of the story obviously and yes I know this board costs 4 times as much as some of the atom boards + difficulty level. )

I haven't purchased it, yet. still designing my electronic package for my mill.

on a side note, I have been to the boards a number of times and ponder if making all ARM related threads into a child board would be appropriate at this point. I know the BB has its own board but the raspberri pi seems to be an outcast. others even more so.
Last edit: 14 Mar 2014 03:35 by dracozny.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Mar 2014 21:12 #44808 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Odroid-XU
I think that Udoo might be more promising. Only quad-core but more IO pins, and a pinout that suits existing Arduino shields.

More
14 Mar 2014 21:59 #44811 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic Odroid-XU

on a side note, I have been to the boards a number of times and ponder if making all ARM related threads into a child board would be appropriate at this point. I know the BB has its own board but the raspberri pi seems to be an outcast. others even more so.

The BB header is a bit of an iceberg.
There is a huge amount of work going on into it, but it is largely on the user lists.
I think it is anticipated that when the work comes to fruition ( it is not far off ) there will be a huge ramp of interest, because the primary direction for the BB board work is reprap, which is becoming increasingly popular.

If JT wants to create a seperate Category for ARM and move the Pi stuff across, that might be a good idea.
The thread is already full of stuff that does not really apply to the Pi but was inspired by it.

regards

More
15 Mar 2014 01:25 #44815 by dracozny
Replied by dracozny on topic Odroid-XU
I do like the addition of the sata port on it. curious what the benchmarks look like.

More
15 Mar 2014 06:48 #44825 by andypugh

I do like the addition of the sata port on it. curious what the benchmarks look like.

Which ones? It seems pretty snappy, about 30 mins to compile a kernel for itself.

More
15 Mar 2014 07:39 #44827 by dracozny
Replied by dracozny on topic Odroid-XU

Which ones? It seems pretty snappy, about 30 mins to compile a kernel for itself.

I suppose the more important one would be what the jitter benchmark is to see if it's worth my time. I don't mind tinkering but in the end I do want my machine to have some decent performance for possible production work.

More
15 Mar 2014 07:45 #44828 by andypugh

[I suppose the more important one would be what the jitter benchmark is to see if it's worth my time. .

I was thinking of offloading step / pwm to the (onboard) Arduino. Though that looks harder than it should be as 115200 serial is the only link.

I got jitter about 20k with Xenomai, but that was a kludged kernel, and I couldn't make various patches from Gilles compile.

More
18 Apr 2014 20:31 #46081 by ADBensi
Replied by ADBensi on topic Odroid-XU
They have the RT Kernel ODROID:
github.com/hardkernel/linux/tree/odroid-3.8.y-rt

I liked the idea of ​​ODROID, it is less expensive and power-full.

ODROID-U3 do not have many GPIO / SPI, but, have I2C, however, it is possible make over USB SPI similary the Udoo (working over USB and Serial to the GPIO/SPI/I2C).

I do not like SPI over USB, but They have github.com/hardkernel/Odroid-USBIO

I would like to see a better performance to run linuxcnc in a compact and inexpensive solution, I think the initiative with Raspberry and BBBlack very good, and better ODROID yet.

Challenge ODROID-U3 - LinuxCNC
linuxcnc.org/index.php/english/forum/18-...e-odroid-u3-linuxcnc

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds