Intel Atom D2500 display problems

More
30 Sep 2013 16:05 - 30 Sep 2013 19:11 #39381 by ArcEye

You will probably have some problems with the root account being locked and not being able to use sudo
Seems to do it every time.
There is a way around! Just done it myself.

Just to get you going for now.

If you have installed GRUB directly (I didn't) you will probably have a recovery boot option - use that

If not you can achieve the same thing by editing the GRUB boot line
( If you GRUB menu does not appear at boot hold down the Esc key and / or Shift key )
When you have the menu entry for your new install highlighted, press e
You can now edit the GRUB boot entry

Find the line with ro quiet splash and change it to ro single

Then press Ctrl x to boot that entry

You will drop into a root shell on boot up

Enter
passwd root
Then set the new password twice when prompted
Then enter
passwd -u root

Now reboot
reboot -n

Once booted into graphical mode, log in as yourself and select the root shell from the Accessories menu
(give the root password when prompted - it is often easier to just set it to the same as your user password if you are the only one using the machine)

Enter gedit /etc/sudoers

Under the lines which read

root ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL
%sudo ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL

enter the line using your normal username
yourusername ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL

Ensure there is a carraige return at the end of the line and save and exit gedit.

You now have root privilages and will be able to use sudo when required.

regards

PS

There will be a delay with the debs

I have hit a problem with the new drivers conflicting with my video drivers on this machine and making it impossible to test properly because they crash the Xserver at boot.

Will take a while to get around it, may need to use another machine with a different video driver
Last edit: 30 Sep 2013 19:11 by ArcEye.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KenC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Oct 2013 23:54 #39455 by ArcEye
OK got there

Have now completely recompiled the kernel, modules and realtime, with Atom processor instruction set and 2 cores selected where appropriate

Had to do it on a P4 with an old CRT monitor hence the time.
Also forgot initially that Wheezy installs gcc-4.7 by default. This has a bug regards i386 code, which prevents it compiling linuxcnc, so I had to change compiler versions and do it all over again.

I will package the kernel and modules tomorrow plus the modesetting driver and post a link when done.

The realtime package and a suitable version of linuxcnc with instructions will follow.

Thanks for being patient

More
02 Oct 2013 22:52 - 03 Oct 2013 16:52 #39485 by ArcEye
Hi

I am having the usual problems of being able to build fine from sources but packaging so that others can without the sources taking longer than wanted.

This will give instructions and links to get to the kernel 3.8.0-rtai installed and modesetting_drv installed

(SEE NEXT POST)

From there you can experiment with xorg.conf etc to get the modesetting driver used and hopefully get gma500_gfx used at a higher resolution.

By the time you test that, I will have sorted out the niggle which is preventing builds from packages at present

regards

PS

Hopefully now sorted, a symlink in modules was subtly different and affected realtime, without actually erroring

If you have downloaded the linux-image-3.8.0-rtai package prior to 1815 BST, do so again to ensure you have the updated /lib/modules section
Last edit: 03 Oct 2013 16:52 by ArcEye.

More
03 Oct 2013 16:51 - 04 Oct 2013 13:27 #39502 by ArcEye
Hi

Now all uploaded, tested from scratch downloading debs and following my own instructions. :P

The new page is www.mgware.co.uk/debian/install-3.8.0-rtai.htm

Just hope you can get the video drivers to work, will open up a raft of new boards for linuxcnc

regards
Last edit: 04 Oct 2013 13:27 by ArcEye.

Time to create page: 0.215 seconds