Touch Probe for Lathe Tool Setting

More
03 Sep 2014 05:58 - 03 Sep 2014 05:59 #50655 by Zahnrad Kopf
I wasn't sure if this was an Advanced Configuration issue, or a Lathe issue, or a General LinuxCNC issue, so if it's better in another forum, please feel free to move it.

I would like to impliment a standard 4-way touch probe sensor for tool setting in my Turning Center. Will this be significantly different than implimenting a Z-height offset probe for a Machining Center, in LinuxCNC? It's one of these - SENSOR LINK

I would need to make the arm, which would store the sensor out of harm's way ( and cooland and chips ), and then swing 90° down for use. I can worry over the machanics of the arm later. Heck, it could even easily be manually pulled down like the early days. But how to do teh setting in LCNC is my first concern and question...

Thanks.

EDIT - A better example HERE
Last edit: 03 Sep 2014 05:59 by Zahnrad Kopf.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Sep 2014 20:28 #50687 by andypugh

Will this be significantly different than implimenting a Z-height offset probe for a Machining Center, in LinuxCNC?

It should be just the same.

There are even examples out there for automatic probing (of Z-height) on tool-change, which might be used.

However, I am not 100% convinced that touch-probing is as accurate as necessary in a lathe scenario. I think you might still end up making test cuts to allow for tool and work deflection.

More
03 Sep 2014 21:00 - 03 Sep 2014 21:01 #50688 by Zahnrad Kopf

There are even examples out there for automatic probing (of Z-height) on tool-change, which might be used.

However, I am not 100% convinced that touch-probing is as accurate as necessary in a lathe scenario. I think you might still end up making test cuts to allow for tool and work deflection.

Andy, you are most assuredly correct. It's a daily event, for me. Different tool geometries affect it, different materials affect it, and even different diameters of the same material will affect it. But it's still desirable as a time and effort savings. Being able to change to a completely different tool, touch off on the sensor in X & Z, and be taking a cut within seconds is nice. And one is usually within a few thousandths if not closer to the desired dimension. Editing the tool table + or - a few tenths to compensate is fast and easy as well.

If one has enough presence of mind, one stops the cut after a roughing pass, notes the difference if there is one, and edits the tool table right then, continuing on after so no pieces are wasted on setup.

Thanks.
Last edit: 03 Sep 2014 21:01 by Zahnrad Kopf.

Time to create page: 0.063 seconds