Show info on external screen

More
22 Jul 2014 21:08 #49018 by Guvner
I'm quite new to this forum, but following linuxcnc for a while now. As I am building my cnc gantry machine I decided to go for linuxcnc as controller software.

The thing I was wondering about was how to display the different values of the x, y and z-axis on a different screen. I remember someone saying that there is a file containing the actual coordinates.

Can someone explain to me what file this should be or where I could find more info about this subject?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jul 2014 22:51 #49021 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic Show info on external screen

The thing I was wondering about was how to display the different values of the x, y and z-axis on a different screen. I remember someone saying that there is a file containing the actual coordinates.

What is it you want to do exactly, display somehow in another desktop on the same machine or display remotely somewhere?

The file is probably emc.var or position.txt, but these are written at exit so no use for updating a remote DRO.

It would be quite simple to create a stand alone pyVCP panel that displays DRO values, albeit some of the offsets etc are available in the gremlin widget anyway.

regards

More
23 Jul 2014 02:24 #49030 by Guvner
Replied by Guvner on topic Show info on external screen
My linuxcnc machine will run from a raspberry pi. I have a 4x20 digits lcd screen. This is connected to the gpio port of the raspberry pi. On this screen i'd like to show the progress and current position of the spindle.

So this is why I'd need some way to get the current coordinates.

More
23 Jul 2014 13:32 - 23 Jul 2014 15:23 #49043 by ArcEye
Hi

How much do you know about programming?

Enough to write to the LCD display, but need to know where to get the data from?

See my Arduino Pendant thread for a start
www.linuxcnc.org/index.php/english/forum...pendant-for-linuxcnc

That writes the co-ordinates to a 4x20 lcd display which are obtained by using the values available in halui.
The thread shows the hal connections.

As far as showing the 'progress and current position of the spindle', would need some info on the machine.
Do you mean the 'spindle' or its carrier, eg the Z axis on a mill

regards
Last edit: 23 Jul 2014 15:23 by ArcEye.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Guvner

More
23 Jul 2014 15:22 - 23 Jul 2014 15:24 #49044 by ArcEye
The other pure HAL way would be to use Andy's lcd component

www.linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/man/man9/lcd.9.html

Then link to a suitable halui pin for the data, assuming this is axis data you are wanting, still not sure about the spindle reference.

www.linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/gui/halui.html

regards
Last edit: 23 Jul 2014 15:24 by ArcEye.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Guvner

More
23 Jul 2014 16:42 #49048 by Guvner
Replied by Guvner on topic Show info on external screen
By progress I mean the progress of the total job. So if I need to mill 16 circles and 8 are done, the display should show 50%

But let me start with just displaying the coordinates of the diffirent axis first.

Thanks for both links. I'll start by reaging both threads and decide what to use after that.

Time to create page: 0.124 seconds