LinuxCNC for low level stepper motor control?

More
21 May 2012 14:05 #20250 by wizard69
Zookes wrote:

wizard69 wrote:

Actually I've gotten no insight at all.

Oh! Sorry. :} I do intend to divulge more as time goes on but I have to appease the paranoid android for now.

wizard69 wrote:

You still have a ways to go.

Don't I know it! Tally ho!

wizard69 wrote:

a control system programmed either in a scripting environment like Python or in a more hard core programming language like C++.

Hmm, a control system? I don't mind doing a little C based stuff here and there, and I like the idea of logging and whatnot; but what would the differences be between PLC and a control system, because if I can get something rough but functional with PLC, that would be grand.

A controll system built around a PLC is extremely easy to bring up compared to almost any other approach. However with that ease comes significant limitations. If the job at hand fits the PLC then it is foolish to choose other approaches.

wizard69 wrote:

As to your project, I'm so busy I just sit down to comment when I can do nothing more constructive.

On the contrary, I would consider your comments here highly constructive! Thanks Wizard!

Thanks but honestly I have a very loose grasp on what itis that you are doing.

If you take a look on the other thread, you can see that I am being recommended air cylinders in place of steppers and ball-screws.

Well I still haven't gotten to that thread. However realize there is a vast range of hardware that can cover linear positioning needs. For example in between air cylinders and ball screw slides you have belt driven slides that can be very economical. It is not uncommon for machines to use a mix of equipment to achieve a goal. For example I work on machines with SCARA robots, air cylinders and belt driven slides all working together.

Perhaps I should post a new topic as things seem to have moved on a bit?

Edit: Hmm, I have been learning more about PLC. Perhaps I can connect to a PLC controller through a common Ethernet router? And monitor it from my workstation that way? Perhaps that's a bit more KISS than having a whole new machine running the automation?

Ethernet is the way to go on most common control systems these days. Look closely at what choices you are given for communications software, libraries and the like. In the automation world companies often use Man Machine Interface (MMI) software to "do" the GUI interface. This is often a separate package from the PLC programming package, so again look closely at what is available.

Edit the Second: Holy GUI programming batman!

Wow. It looks... Really intuitive! though classic ladder probably isn't very similar, the more I learn about PLC the more I feel it's the way to go.

I suspect a PLC is a very good fit here. Actually I see Classic Ladder as more similar than it is different.

Beyond software another reason to look at a PLC is the ease of getting the machine up and running hardware wise.

Edit the Third:
A more comprehensive view of the project can be found here:
forums.mrplc.com/index.php?showtopic=23069

It still tells me very little. Maybe I'm having trouble imagining what you are up to as it sounds like a molding operation you should already be able to buy machines for "off the shelf". Even if off the shelf isn't possible it is generally easier to modify a machine to meet your needs rather than to DIY all the way.

Also note that injection materials into a cavity at a controlled pressure is often done witha servo system. These sorts of systems often use load cell feed back to controll pressure throughout the inject and hold profiles.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.086 seconds