10.04 installation with no internet access

More
18 Oct 2014 22:19 #52174 by cmtunnel
I'm trying to get internet access with a usb wireless adapter on my 10.04 machine. I tried many things ive read on the internet but no success yet. I am new to linux and i'm sure this is the real problem. I would appreciate it greatly if someone could help me through this. I am trying to get drivers loaded....there were downloaded linux drivers and the cd drivers that I could use with a wrapper i guess. My online pc is running 10.01. Please help!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Oct 2014 22:51 #52175 by ArcEye
Hi

What is the USB adaptor?

They generally tend to be very problematic and are best avoided.
Apart from anything else, as soon as your CNC machine is running, the 'noise' from the motors and spindle will probably knock out the connection.

A very good alternative is two 'home-plugs' and a wired ethernet connection

Mine work 200 ft from the house and give me full speed broadband

regards

More
18 Oct 2014 23:51 #52176 by cmtunnel
The usb adapter is the hardware that plugs into the usb port and provides the pc with the wireless connection. I already have this adapter and want to use it. I only need it to work at times when im putting new software on the pc so no problem with interference. My problem is getting the drivers installed on the offline pc. I looked on this site and found what looks like will work but I can't download the software for aptoncd. I think i need to load the drivers on the offline pc with dependencies and whatever else needed to make it work on the other machine but i haven't been able to make it work yet. Suggestions??

beatofthegeek.com/2011/07/aptoncd-tutori...-to-backup-your.html

More
19 Oct 2014 00:45 #52177 by ArcEye

The usb adapter is the hardware that plugs into the usb port and provides the pc with the wireless connection.

No s**t!

Does it have a maker and model number?

More
19 Oct 2014 01:12 #52178 by cmtunnel
Lol! Sorry about that man.........kinda funny though. It's a realtek. I think it's a 8180 or 8150

More
19 Oct 2014 01:20 #52179 by ArcEye
OK,

You caught me at a bad moment :whistle:

Will need to know the exact model.

Realtek can be horrors, the r8168 ethernet chip is a prime example.

They make stuff for wondoze and don't care if it works with anything else.

I still stand by my original recommendation, if possible just throw it in the bin and go for a wired solution ;)

regards

More
19 Oct 2014 04:03 - 19 Oct 2014 05:23 #52180 by cmtunnel
ok i found an ethernet card. i'll see if i can get it working. I am wondering if I should change the laptop over to 10.04? Will that make it easier to get files over to the other machine? Thanks for the help.

Now having trouble with ethernet drivers. Read something about vr driver that i think will work but cant find how to do it.
Last edit: 19 Oct 2014 05:23 by cmtunnel.

More
19 Oct 2014 13:41 #52185 by ArcEye

. I am wondering if I should change the laptop over to 10.04? Will that make it easier to get files over to the other machine?

That is one way of updating, do the updates and get the new packages on an internet connected machine running the same version.
Then copy the packages to the other machine and install manually using dpkg.

Now having trouble with ethernet drivers. Read something about vr driver that i think will work but cant find how to do it.

Again, without the make and model, can't assist

regards

More
19 Oct 2014 18:50 #52187 by ArcEye

That man page was taken straight from the BSD one, not quite sure what the point of it is.

The drivers for Ubuntu 10.04 are on the Via website
download.viatech.com/en/support/driversSelect.jsp

They do however require building and installing by hand, there are about 5 different downloads, depending upon the model

regards

More
19 Oct 2014 21:45 #52189 by cmtunnel
Via Technologies. VT86C100A [Rhine] [1]

Think I might change the online machine to 10.04 today.

Any info. or links for building & installing the drivers are greatly appreciated. If you know of any links that are step-by-step that would help alot............still trying to get in the groove with linux.

Thanks alot for your help

Time to create page: 0.123 seconds