What am I missing? Do I must have parallel port ?

More
17 Oct 2014 02:05 #52144 by jorge.briceno92
Hello, I'm new at LinuxCNC, I already installed both versions 2.5 and 2.6 (after couple hours since I'm not a Linux user) the first in a laptop ASUSN55SF with a dedicated hard drive for linux with ubuntu 14 and windows 8 boot options alongside linux cnc2.5, linuxcnc 2.6 is curruntly installed in a desktop computer asus cm3870 .

Issue:
Can't even open the software, it always gets me and error.
setupwizzards are working fine.

This are my questions:

Do I must have a parallel connected to the pc? is there other way to control stepper motors with linuxCNC that parallel port in't needed?

here is a LOG of the errors I'm getting:
docs.google.com/document/d/1t3qqOTHs4HB_...fF8/edit?usp=sharing

tried to change memory value but it wasn a solution

* - memlock 20480

*** the setup that I have is wrong, I havent set up the real configuration values for the steppers, and I still looking for a controller card, I just want to know the interface and get familiared to make a school project***

THANK YOU.
Saludos desde México.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Oct 2014 02:24 #52146 by alan_3301
look at this:

wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?LockedMemory

You can use a laptop for simulation but I don't think it will work for controlling a machine.

Yes you either need a parallel port or a pci card for an interface.

More
17 Oct 2014 15:06 #52155 by Rick G
Take a look here...
wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Instal...the_LinuxCNC_Live_CD
linuxcnc.org/index.php?option=com_conten...=21&Itemid=4&lang=en
Several documents as well as getting started guide...
www.linuxcnc.org/index.php/english/documentation

To learn the software you can just boot from the live CD and run a sample configuration in simulator mode without even installing or creating your own configuration.

Rick G

More
17 Oct 2014 20:05 #52157 by andypugh

Do I must have a parallel connected to the pc? is there other way to control stepper motors with linuxCNC that parallel port in't needed?

LinuxCNC supports the following interfaces:
1) Parallel port as individual pins. This is cheap, but not very good, and not everyone has a parallel port any more.
2) Parallel port as a comunications interface. This works a lot better, but is also no good without a parallel port.
www.pico-systems.com/motion.html
store.mesanet.com/index.php?route=produc...=83_85&product_id=67 (also see the 7i90)
3) PCI interface. This is probably the best approach if you have PCI or PCIe slots available. There are lots of options here but it is hard to beat the Mesa 5i25/7i76 combo
store.mesanet.com/index.php?route=produc...83_84&product_id=215
also:
www.generalmechatronics.com/en/linuxcnc
www.vitalsystem.com/web/motion/motion100.php
4) External-PCIE: Supported but not commonly used, possibly because of cost
store.mesanet.com/index.php?route=produc...83_85&product_id=103
5) Ethernet. Mesa have a couple of Ethernet-connected boards. I think it is fair to say that support for these hasn't settled down yet, and there is a long forum thread here with someone who can't get theirs to work. I made mine work, though, so it can be done.
store.mesanet.com/index.php?route=produc...e=7i80&product_id=59
6) ISA cards: Advantech PLC-720. You would be unlikely to choose this, when did you last see an ISA slot?

LinuxCNC can _not_ control anything using USB. It is very unlikely that it ever will, as USB latency is incompatible with the way that LinuxCNC works.

There is a much more extensive list of supported hardware here:
wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?LinuxCNC_Supported_Hardware

Time to create page: 0.084 seconds