confirmation needed linux pmdx 126 and other parts

More
08 Sep 2014 04:24 - 08 Sep 2014 19:58 #50899 by shoot2014
Hello
I have a few questions regarding my lathe and swinging over to Linux,
I have a dyna 3000 lathe with a 6 tool turret I was originally retrofitting for mach3.using a tool turret macro I have.
through out ive had a pal say Linux would be a better option for the lathe but as I started out with mach on my router I didn't fancy changing.
so the parts I bought so far are..
pmdx 126 breakout board
3 drivers- DQ860MA 80V 7.8A
steppers 2 x nema 23 420oz and one x small nema 23 for the turret
there is a heds 6310 encoder on the spindle
the dc brushed spindle motor will be powered by a DG4S-16035 positioning DC servo drive and a BRKC-180 braking circuit.

I overlooked the fact I will need either a smooth stepper or second parallel port..
the pc I was going to use is a small dell OptiPlex with no room to take added parallel ports
im thinking rather than buy a smooth stepper I may as well buy another pc...add a second port and give Linux a try.
what I really don't want to do is do away with any of the hardware in the list and have to replace any of it.

am I going to encounter any problems with this hardware?thanks
Last edit: 08 Sep 2014 19:58 by shoot2014.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Sep 2014 00:20 - 09 Sep 2014 00:33 #50959 by PCW
It looks like the PMDX126 can be run from two parallel ports so should be usable with LinuxCNC

Note that AFAIK the Smoothstepper is not compatible with Linuxcnc

Forgot to say, everything else should be OK except perhaps the spindle encoder

The parallel port interface will limit your encoder count rate so lower resolution encoders
(say no more than 100 CPR) may be required to reach say 3000 RPM.

It may also be that the encoder is only used at lower speeds (for threading and tapping for example)
so that a higher resolution encoder is OK
Last edit: 09 Sep 2014 00:33 by PCW.
The following user(s) said Thank You: shoot2014

More
09 Sep 2014 01:00 #50964 by shoot2014
thanks pcw
I know I wont need a smooth stepper going the Linux route with 2 parallel ports.it seems to be favourite for lathes over mach.
im a total newbie to this, the pmdx and dg4s servo drive with all its reference to mach/plugins etc and none mentioning Linux.
im just trying to gauge am I in for some bother using /setting things up with the hardware I have.
im looking forward to getting this lathe up and running.

Time to create page: 0.072 seconds