Are you running a Touch Screen Monitor? Questions

More
14 Aug 2014 08:44 - 14 Aug 2014 09:00 #49840 by Zahnrad Kopf
If you are running a touch screen monitor, I have a few questions of you.

What GUI are you using with it?

What size monitor are you running?
If you did it again, would you use a bigger one, a smaller one, or the exact same size one?

What would you warn others about when using your touch screen?

Here's why -

I'm at the point of buying my monitor. I can buy any size, but really don't know how big or small it needs to be because it's been so long since I used the LCNC GUI and things have changed drastically enough that I have no idea what my final configuration will actually look like at this point. ( it's a turning center if it matters )

15" seems the ubiquitous size choice... but now with the opportunity of using soft keys instead of hardware keys it occurs to me that I might want some extra real estate up there...

17" would give me more real estate, but takes up more space on the panel, obviously... I don't want to get out of hand...

And adding into the mix - most of the turning centers I use/have used have an approximately 9" - 12" screen. So it seems like I could likely even do well enough with a 13" touch screen monitor... I don't know... maybe not...

So, I'm looking for the experiences of others that have been and are here. ( and why aren't there more actual pictures of people's monitors running? ) :)

Thanks for your time.
Last edit: 14 Aug 2014 09:00 by Zahnrad Kopf.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Aug 2014 14:44 #49842 by cncbasher
i'm using 17" just about on all designs now , i used to use 15" but the 17" gives you just that extra room not to make things cluttered , i have tried 23 and 24" but they are just too large and cumbersome in use ,

i have used Touchy which is simple and clean , but not easily changed , Norberts Gmocappy has matured into a very usable friendly screen , along with it's variants for plasma and Industrial
the code can be changed so adding features is possible. it is currently being used by many users

More
14 Aug 2014 20:07 #49860 by Zahnrad Kopf
Dave,

Good stuff there. Thank you. Are there any pictures of this "industrial" version? Given my habits and what I am used to I am thinking it might just be what I am looking for.

Hopefully, I'll get a bunch of people's input on this question.

Thanks.

More
16 Aug 2014 04:47 #49906 by DaBit
I am running an older RDP Displays industrial touchscreen monitor. Size is 15", resolution is 1024x768. Current interface is Gmoccapy. Does the job fine, but things like sliders are sometimes hard to hit on my touchscreen.

Got that 15" monitor for free, so I'll live with it until I run against something else. If I was going to buy new, I would buy a larger screen. 17" / 1280x960 would be the minimum, a bit larger would be even better imho.

More
16 Aug 2014 08:54 #49913 by Zahnrad Kopf
Bought a 17" on fleabay today. Was cheap enough that I can write it off as a night of drink. I'll post my results and experiences after. ( about the monitor, that is )

More
17 Aug 2014 15:29 - 17 Aug 2014 15:33 #49963 by DaBit
Depending on your habits a night of drinking can be expensive :P

Try it, but keep in mind that the difference between 'old touchscreen technology' and 'new touchscreen technology' is fairly huge. Compared to a modern display my RDP monitor just sucks. But since I can spend my euros only once and there are more useful things to spend them on I'll live with it for a while.

So if you don't like this touchscreen you might want to swap for newer technology instead of writing off touchscreen as suitable.

(I wonder why touchscreen monitors are still so expensive. A basic monitor cost less than 100 euros. A complete Android tablet with decent touchscreen can be bought for little more, and that is basically a complete computer. But a basic monitor with decent touchscreen still cost a fair amount of money. Isn't everybody using that new Windows 8 metro tile whatever stuff nowadays?)
Last edit: 17 Aug 2014 15:33 by DaBit.

More
18 Aug 2014 10:41 #49984 by EW57
I recently purchased a ELO ET1527L on ebay for <$30 & it seems to work without issue with Ubuntu 10.04 using the evtouch drivers (& some manual calibration).

More
18 Aug 2014 11:03 #49985 by Zahnrad Kopf

I recently purchased a ELO ET1527L on ebay for <$30 & it seems to work without issue with Ubuntu 10.04 using the evtouch drivers (& some manual calibration).

Well that's very welcome news, seeing as how that is exactly what I bought and only a little more than I paid. :P B)
The plan is to rip it out of the case and panel mount it. I've done that before with standard LCDs on other machines to replace a failing CRT.

Thanks!

More
18 Aug 2014 14:59 #49990 by cncbasher
you should find if your using a newer distro that the touch drivers are already included , which is a good bonus , as i found a few problems
installing on the older 10.04 for my particular monitor . so things are catching up

More
18 Aug 2014 23:11 #50003 by EW57
This is what I used for a setup tutorial (I'm very new to linux/linuxcnc)
help.ubuntu.com/community/EloTouchScreen

My config is posted below, although its not quite perfect at the very extents of the screen:
Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "Elo class"
        MatchProduct "Elo TouchSystems"
        MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
        Driver          "evtouch"
        Option          "minX"          "50"
        Option          "minY"          "-50"
        Option          "maxX"          "4050"
        Option          "maxY"          "3950"
        Option          "swapY"         "1"
        Option          "swapX"         "1"
EndSection
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zahnrad Kopf

Time to create page: 0.323 seconds