Digital readout from magnetic or glass scales

More
11 Aug 2014 22:03 #49699 by Jake
The super charged power feed is just about exactly how I would describe how I want my manual converted equipment to be. Having the manual ability but the power assist when wanted. Then I can have the higher consistency, be able to handle the radius and other automated functions better, but not loose the manual abilities. I'll get after the CNC controls one of these days. This is one of the reasons I was looking into what Linux CNC hardware I could use now as a DRO then expand later to full control. I didn't think about using a pi, that may be another route. I do have a extra PC that I could get going with Linux and setup. To many ways to work it out!! I'm teetering on the Shumatech DRO or just getting the Linux parts and getting after it. There was another post with a vendor other than mesa that had some excellent solutions also. Four port serial board that plugged into a mother board with a serial output. It appears that I may have enough room with that solution that I could setup both the lathe and the mill and toggle between machines. (As they share a vfd anyways)

Thanks again!

An Arduino and LCD shield ought to work, or you could look at using a Raspberry Pi or BeagleBone running LinuxCNC .
In those cases you would be using general purpose IO, and there is a chance that you might run out of count-rate at high axis speeds. But then how fast can you move an axis on a manual lathe?

FWIW I think having a lathe converted to CNC is massively useful. I rarely use actual G-code, I use pre-written routines like a sort of super-charged power feed.
(Face off to this length at this surface speed, feed and cut, turn to this diameter stopping at that point).

There is a (boring) video here of me making a part that way. I can't imagine going back to manual handle-twiddling.
It is especially useful for threads, you can cut any thread at any pitch at all. My macros are even set up so that I can type "19 tpi" and the box changes to "1.3368" as the lathe is set up in metric.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Aug 2014 00:05 #50154 by Jake
Well I am still leaning to the linux cnc as I may be planning some CNC integration in the future. The beaglebone looks like a good solution. Now to figure out how to connect the serial RS422 to the BB and start getting setup.

I may order one today just to give it a shot.

Any places to go for BB support or people that have had experience with it?

Thanks!

Jake

More
22 Aug 2014 13:42 #50173 by DaBit
Get a couple of board like this one: www.ebay.com/itm/RS485-Board-3-3V-SP3485...&hash=item3cd2da4ccc
Or solder a couple of RS422/485 transceivers on a piece of breadboard. Make sure you use 3.3V types or use a regular 5V part like the humble 75176 and a resistive divider to scale the output voltage of the transceiver to 3.3V

More
23 Nov 2014 21:02 #53314 by Jake
Well I have finally come around to getting closer to this.

For now I bought a TI launchpad, and will use the TouchPad android app for my DRO

I still want to try to connect the scales to the PC to try out that route, but I have searched to the end of the internet and still have not gotten a firm grasp on how to connect the TTL glass scales to my PC.

Thanks again for all the help!

More
24 Nov 2014 06:32 #53336 by andypugh

I have searched to the end of the internet and still have not gotten a firm grasp on how to connect the TTL glass scales to my PC.

You should just have asked here.

Connect to the parallel port, install LinuxCNC, load an encoder component in HAL. Job (largely) done.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jake

More
24 Nov 2014 06:41 #53337 by Jake
So having 4 scales, I need to get either a 4 port serial to pci card or a parallel port card then build a box with the serial ports in it. How do I need to connect the serials to parallel? They are TTL scales.

I have a CNC mill in sights I just need to get them knocked down to what I am willing to pay.

More
24 Nov 2014 06:46 #53338 by andypugh

So having 4 scales, I need to get either a 4 port serial to pci card or a parallel port card then build a box with the serial ports in it. .

I don't know where to start. None of that is true.

Have you tried reading any documentation?
linuxcnc.org/docs/html/hal/parallel_port.html
linuxcnc.org/docs/html/man/man9/encoder.9.html

More
24 Nov 2014 08:12 #53342 by Jake
Thanks for the links Andy, I think viewing at work has blocked some of the pages as I had never run across those pages before. I have some reading and hopefully comprehending to do!

More
26 Nov 2014 09:03 #53423 by Jake
ok I think I have made some headway on wrapping my head around the parallel port.

So the data pins 0-7 I would need to configure 4 of them as outputs with the clock signal, and four of them as inputs. The first 4 with the A scale connected and the four inputs with the B connected. The zero to the grounds, and the grounds to the chassis ground. The only thing left is the 5volt source which seems like there is a big variety of options there.

Is this closer to correct now?

Thanks guys!

More
26 Nov 2014 18:12 #53431 by andypugh

ok I think I have made some headway on wrapping my head around the parallel port.

So the data pins 0-7 I would need to configure 4 of them as outputs with the clock signal, and four of them as inputs. The first 4 with the A scale connected and the four inputs with the B connected.

Maybe it is me who is confused now. What are you trying to connect to what?

I was assuming (perhaps wrongly) that you wanted to interface ttl-output linear scales directly to LinuxCNC encoder counters.

But you keep mentioning clock signals and serial links.

Can you elaborate on what hardware you actually intend to use?

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds