Stepper/Servo Control

More
01 Aug 2014 11:59 - 02 Aug 2014 06:05 #49375 by Gilgamesh
Hi:

I'm new with linux CNC and I've been reaserching a lot about stepper/servo control with linuxcnc, unfortunately, I have not found anything related so far. All the articles talk about milling machines, lathes, etc. in a very advanced fashion, but nothing related with steppers or servos directly. Bottom line, my questions:

1.- What kind of hardware is used to interface the computer (laptop in my case) with the servo?
2.- Is there any tutorial for servomotor control?

Thanks in advance!
Last edit: 02 Aug 2014 06:05 by Gilgamesh.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Aug 2014 18:23 #49389 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Stepper/Servo Control
Laptops are not used to control servos due to hardware battery saving features which make real time control impossible.

I don't really understand your second question.

JT

More
02 Aug 2014 06:08 #49423 by Gilgamesh
Replied by Gilgamesh on topic Stepper/Servo Control

Sorry for that, the question was edited. What i meant was if there is some tutorial to control a servomotor or a stepper.

More
02 Aug 2014 20:10 #49437 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Stepper/Servo Control
I don't know of any overall tutorials other than the LinuxCNC manuals. I have some tutorials on my web site that cover bits and pieces of many things. Usually CNC tutorials are broken up into smaller tutorials that focus on a single subject as the general topic can be so vast and almost impossible to cover in a single tutorial.

wiki.linuxcnc.org/
linuxcnc.org/index.php/english/documentation
gnipsel.com/linuxcnc/index.html

JT

More
02 Aug 2014 22:50 #49443 by tenaja
Replied by tenaja on topic Stepper/Servo Control

Sorry for that, the question was edited. What i meant was if there is some tutorial to control a servomotor or a stepper.

What aspect of "control"?
Are you asking about the hardware interfacing, or the software? Obviously, John's answer was for the latter. For hardware...there are numerous comparisons online.

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds