Getting "Need tool prepared -Txx- for toolchange"

More
21 Apr 2014 23:58 #46184 by RayJr
recently, I have started getting the above error when changing to tool #4 in the tool table. I don't have a clue why thsi has started occurring.

Thank yo for your help!!!

Ray

"No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created it"

Albert Einstein

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Apr 2014 06:41 #46203 by andypugh

recently, I have started getting the above error when changing to tool #4 in the tool table. I don't have a clue why thsi has started occurring.

That is very strange. What pocket does the tool table have the tool in?

More
22 Apr 2014 06:47 #46206 by RayJr
It is in pocket 4.
The table has 32 tools in it.
this is the only one that seems to cause this problem, and it started recently. It may have happened when I had to change out a cutter that broke, and i put a smaller one in.

Attached is the gcode file I was using today.

Ray

Albert Einstein
Attachments:

More
22 Apr 2014 20:17 #46215 by andypugh

this is the only one that seems to cause this problem, and it started recently.

I wonder if there is an invalid and invisible character in the tool table file? I would hope that the system was robust to that, but perhaps not.

Looking around the LinuxCNC Gitweb.
git.linuxcnc.org/gitweb?p=linuxcnc.git&a...s=Need+tool+prepared
Indicates that the message is NCE_TXX_MISSING_FOR_M6
And then looking for where that message is raised leads to this line of code:
git.linuxcnc.org/gitweb?p=linuxcnc.git;a...c675fbd2e41ecc#l5006

For some reason the system is seeing a negative pocket number for tool 4. Maybe try hand-editing the tool table file (using gedit or similar), deleting the pocket number (and a few surrounding characters) then re-saving the file and restarting LinuxCNC.

More
22 Apr 2014 21:56 #46221 by RayJr
Thank you for checking into this Andy.

I did check the tool.tbl file with gedit, and saw nothing out of the usual. The line starts off with: T4 P4 .1719 -2.xxxx ( forget what the full length offset was), then the description.

I think my next step is to delete that entry, save the file, then re-enter it, and save it.

But that will need to wait. I am traveling with the high school robotics team I mentor. They earned a ticket to the world championship event in St Louis that starts tomorrow.
The Bridgeport that LinuxCNC is on is the teams machine. My son & I retrofitted it four years ago.

I will follow up on this after we get back from the competition. (hopefully with the Championship trophy!)

Ray M.

Albert Einstein

More
23 Apr 2014 22:11 #46254 by andypugh

I will follow up on this after we get back from the competition. (hopefully with the Championship trophy!)

Good luck.

Google suggested that it is FIRST, but the web site doesn't seem to give any clues what the actual competition is.
I once won a Robot Football championship (BBC Technogames series) using a thinly-disguised RobotWars robot.

More
15 Aug 2014 13:46 #49887 by RayJr
I just got back to working on solving this issue.

I found that a change to the post processor I use has caused it to put in an "M6" command near the end of the ngc file , with no associated "T" command.

Thank you Andy for your research into this, as it was what led me to the problem!

What had me thrown for a while is that the error ops up right after the last real tool change in the file, that is quite far from the end of the file. I didn't realize that LCNC is doing that much of a lookahead.

ray

Albert Einstein

More
15 Aug 2014 15:05 #49888 by andypugh

I found that a change to the post processor I use has caused it to put in an "M6" command near the end of the ngc file , with no associated "T" command.

I am not sure that should cause a problem. I would expect to attempt to load the current tool.

The postprocessor might be trying to do a tool unload (M6 T0 in LinuxCNC)

More
15 Aug 2014 22:05 #49892 by RayJr
This happened right after I hit enter from a manual tool change. If I edit the errant M6 out of the file, I can finish the process without the error.

I happens with version 2.6.2 as well.

I was trying to get the program to unload the tool at the end of the program, or at the very least, move the quill up.

Ray

Albert Einstein

Time to create page: 0.174 seconds