Communication to CNC HASS from linux

More
06 Sep 2013 23:20 #38520 by MFI-Spencer
I am trying to figure out how to use linux to communicate with a Hass Mill the connection is made using RS-232. I want to send already made G-code via the RS-232 cable, would it be overkill to install LinuxCNC just to do this?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Sep 2013 08:06 #38526 by andypugh

I am trying to figure out how to use linux to communicate with a Hass Mill the connection is made using RS-232. I want to send already made G-code via the RS-232 cable, would it be overkill to install LinuxCNC just to do this?

Yes, and in fact LinuxCNC can't do what you require.

From Linux it might actually be possible to send the G-code with no third-party software at all.
echo mygcodefile.ngc > /dev/tty0
might do all that you need.

www.armadeus.com/wiki/index.php?title=Se...ports_usage_on_Linux

More
08 Sep 2013 20:32 #38539 by emcPT
If you only want to send program to your machine, then you just need a simple software. There are many free software's to do this, for windows, that also give some help in deciding the settings - that often decides the success of the transmission. I like the NCnet lite www.cadem.com/dnc.htm

Sending anything though the serial port using the command line in linux (like Andy suggested), although it works, it is probably to much work without near results.

More
09 Sep 2013 22:57 #38571 by ArcEye

Hi

Before I converted my Denford Easimill to Linuxcnc, I used the PNC3 controller which came with it.

It used a primative RS232 DNC program to load files and remotely control it, which would only work with Windows 98

I wrote a specific linux dnc program for it which is here
www.mgware.co.uk/CNC/CNC/PNC3Comm_latest.tar.gz

If you are thinking of doing similar, it may help you.
It will not work with yours but will give an idea of the process of connecting, receiving and sending commands and acknowledgements etc

The important things to find out are the handshake protocols, baudrate etc
Often the windoze dnc programs will give you a heads up on that, I found a lot of the initial settings that way and then fortunately I tracked down a manual for the controller

Whilst I was testing the code, I used Cutecom to send the command strings to the controller and analyse the replies
Although it is a bit laborious, it does work, but if you have a text file with common command strings in it, you can just cut and paste and /or use Cutecoms history, so it gets faster

Depends how much you need to do with it

regards

More
10 Sep 2013 04:05 #38576 by MFI-Spencer
andypugh - Thanks that actually got me closer in that I can get the CNC to say "loading..." but I have not been able to go from there and get it to receive the program/gcode file.
I have been looking for free and somewhat easy to understand methods of communicating but have not really found anything yet.

ArcEye - Thanks also but honestly that was a little more complicated than I am ready for at this point.

emcPT - Thanks I tried it in wine under linux but it was a no-go.

More
10 Sep 2013 14:27 - 10 Sep 2013 14:39 #38593 by cncbasher
All your trying to do is to send a file via RS232 using a terminal program , the fact that all it say's 'loading' is that either the handshake lines or the protocol is waiting for a start bit .
so it can start drip feeding the gcode ( text file in reality )

check that you have the rs232 cable correct including any handshake line connections , they can be a pain
also the baud rate and stop bits in a lot of cases need to be slow i.e 1200 7n1 or 2400 etc , and using xon /xoff without handshake lines , as some machines dont need any more than just the usual tx/rx and gnd

on some machines i have had to manualy start the pc terminal and then select the start the download on the machine , again a pain but it worked .

i tend to use Ncnet under windows , but note the free version does not support drip feed .
you could try Easydnc under linux www.dnc-x.com

any resonable rs232 terminal program should do it , although you may need to script the start and stop codes if they are different on the HASS .
Last edit: 10 Sep 2013 14:39 by cncbasher.

More
29 Sep 2014 04:57 #51639 by dinodf

I wrote a specific linux dnc program for it which is here
www.mgware.co.uk/CNC/CNC/PNC3Comm_latest.tar.gz

The link seem to no not valid yet, have a new one?
It is possible have the source-code? it is open source?

Thank you
Regards
Dino

More
29 Sep 2014 15:06 #51646 by ArcEye
Hi

This is an old thread and I have changed servers since then

After the reorganisation the link is now
www.mgware.co.uk/CNC/PNC3Comm_latest.tar.gz

It IS the source code, there is no binary.

How much use it will be to you is uncertain, unless you have a Denford Easimill with a PNC3 controller.
But it is an example of serial programming in Qt3, so may be of use.

regards

More
30 Sep 2014 00:10 #51668 by dinodf
Thank you,
I download it and study :-)

More
30 Sep 2014 05:17 #51675 by jmelson
You can also try minicom, it is an available package for serial communication. I use it to upload/download
programs to another type of CNC device. You will probably need to install this package with the
software manager menu.

Jon

Time to create page: 0.271 seconds