Newbie on tool changing needs advice

More
22 Oct 2014 06:44 #52260 by jcarpenter
Is there a way to rezero my Z axis during a program using AXIS? I have a complicated G code program with 4 tool changes. I don’t have the tooling to do preset tools. So I need to manually change the cutters and rezero the Z axis at each requested tool change. Now I could always get out of the G code program auto mode and change the tool and reset Z. I could then Resume execution of the code at the line where the tool change was requested. However in my mind this is equivalent to running 4 separate programs. And it would be simpler and less error prone to just have 4 separate G Code programs to do the machining with each tool. Any suggestions? If I am totally screwing this up please let me know. Won't be the first time.

Thanks,

John C

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Oct 2014 18:40 #52272 by BigJohnT
You should break your program up into one tool per program.

JT
The following user(s) said Thank You: jcarpenter

More
22 Oct 2014 22:31 #52280 by ArcEye
Hi

This is something that is only possible through remapping of M6 and a lot of python hoop jumping at present.

If you don't have pre-set tool-holders or repeatable methods of tool changing, it really is easier to have 4 programs.
Just look at the effects of M2 / M30 and be aware that you may want to halt the run with a % and preserve offsets, modes etc

regards
The following user(s) said Thank You: jcarpenter

More
23 Oct 2014 00:04 #52290 by jcarpenter
Ok, thanks. I broke the program up into parts for each tool. I guess I need to invest in some hardware. Maybe after my next paying job.

John C

More
23 Oct 2014 03:30 #52306 by BigJohnT
In addition a good preamble at the head of each file will eliminate errors that might creep in in between runs when manually mucking about.

gnipsel.com/linuxcnc/g-code/gen01.html

JT

More
31 Oct 2014 03:00 #52601 by jcarpenter
Broke each G code program into 5 sub programs and ran them one by one. Worked perfect.

John C

Attachments:

More
31 Oct 2014 15:37 #52610 by ArcEye
I don't know what they are for, but they are well machined.

Glad you got it sorted.

regards

More
01 Nov 2014 20:30 #52655 by BigJohnT
Nice looking parts for sure!

JT

More
01 Nov 2014 21:40 - 01 Nov 2014 21:42 #52663 by jcarpenter
Thanks for the compliments. Deburring and scotch brite make even ragged machining look pretty. The parts were at the request from a local mentor to a high school First Robotic group. They are the gearbox plates for the robots transmission. Must be a good size robot that they are building. One interesting thing is they sent me a step model only to do the build. Job brought me a little closer to the modern age.

Something I need to investigate. On some of the straight edges that do not line up orthogonal to the axis I get a wavy finish. The scallops are about 3/8 inch apart and can be felt. I have seen in the past some segmentation around a curve but never on a straight. In the G code it is a straight linear X and Y move. It only happens on one side of the plate, never on the corresponding cut on the other side. I am beginning to think that it is something mechanical in the mill. sigh.

John C
Last edit: 01 Nov 2014 21:42 by jcarpenter. Reason: i can't spell

More
01 Nov 2014 23:08 #52666 by cncbasher
sounds mechanical , and the tools flexing or grabing the aluminum if your running slow etc
and of course if your climb milling or not

Time to create page: 1.443 seconds