Linuxcnc simulator

More
08 Nov 2014 11:13 #52931 by ericg
Linuxcnc simulator was created by ericg
Hi,

I have updated my linux laptop where I had the simulator running to ubuntu 14.04 and now of course the simulator no longer functions due to deprecated libraries.

I there any work being done to correct this or any workarounds ?

thanks

Eric

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Nov 2014 19:51 #52942 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic Linuxcnc simulator

I there any work being done to correct this

Said in the kindest possible way, the problem is of your own making and the solution lies there too.

You can either install a recent OS which is supported (Wheezy), or you can build Linuxcnc as a sim only on 14.04.

The former approach would be least problematic.

You cannot count upon any support in terms of packaging for the latest Ubuntu bloatware.
With the main distro being Debian based, there is little reason to do so.

regards

More
09 Nov 2014 06:48 #52973 by ericg
Replied by ericg on topic Linuxcnc simulator
Thanks for the feedback ArcEye

Yes I understand the problem is of my own making, I have been getting fed up with Ubuntu of late for those very reasons you mention, what I also did was to take a spare Asus laptop and install a standard Debian wheezy on it, and try to build the simulator there with similar results.

I intend to go all Debian soon, but I'm not clear on whether I install a 'standard' Debian then install the simulator (already failed at that) or do I install the Linuxcnc version and then use that as my 'normal' OS.

Actually that seems a good idea to me, I'll try that right now with the Asus, would there be any issues not to use it as a main distro? I haven't thought about it like that before.

BTW Wheezy is running the latest LinuxCNC on my gantry router and doing an excellent job.

feedback is always appreciated

regards... Eric

More
09 Nov 2014 15:47 #52976 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic Linuxcnc simulator
Hi

I have never run a simulator only set up.

Even on machines not attached to anything and with no parport, I just install a rt kernel and use the normal build of linuxcnc to run simulations.
Latency is irrelevant in these circumstances, so realtime warnings can just be ignored.

If you can do that, it will solve your issues completely

regards

Time to create page: 0.062 seconds