Debian Wheezy Install Hangs

More
08 Oct 2014 05:15 #51869 by ljask
I just downloaded the Debian Wheezy / LinuxCNC 2.6 Live+Install image and burned it to a DVD. I installed it on a fairly new 64-bit machine and all went well. I like it. Then I tried to install it on an older (about 10 yrs) laptop to use for g-code development only. I currently have Ubuntu 10.04.4 and Linux 2.6.32-122-rtai (i686) running on the laptop with no problems. I can boot the Live system from the DVD and all seems to work well, including network access. When I try to do the Install (Graphical, Text, Failsafe) the install hangs at the " Detect network hardware" page. There is a progress bar that displays briefly (about 1 sec), then everything stops. I can't tell if the problem is with the network or the next step, whatever that is. So the question is: what's wrong. Is there a log file that persists after I bail out of the install that might point to a problem? Is there an installation script I could work through manually to see where the problem is? Or is the best advice simply to live with a working system and be happy?

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Oct 2014 15:26 #51881 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic Debian Wheezy Install Hangs
Hi

This is liable to happen if you have a network chip which requires specific firmware

The most common example of this is the Realtek R8111/R8168L ethernet and various wireless chips.

The full install program will ask you if you have the drivers on a USB stick that can be loaded.

The first thing to try is plugging in an ethernet cable, don't just try using wireless.
I have always found that ethernet will work, even if the installer asks for drivers and takes a while resolving it

regards
The following user(s) said Thank You: ljask

More
08 Oct 2014 21:47 #51900 by ljask
Replied by ljask on topic Debian Wheezy Install Hangs
Thanks for the focus. The work-around is to disable the MiniPCI Device, in my case the wireless network controller, in the BIOS. Simply turning the wireless "Off" didn't work. After that, the install was flawless. In all my testing I had the ethernet cable connected.

Thanks again!

Time to create page: 0.222 seconds