Linux Mint 17

More
10 Sep 2014 14:17 #50995 by MonAmiNounours
Linux Mint 17 was created by MonAmiNounours
Hi from France!

I'm a very long-time Windows user, and a newbie with Linux as far as LinuxCNC.

My question is the following: is it possible to install LinuxCNC 2.5 (I don't like 2.6) on Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon?

I hope that it is!! Really!!

My machining-dedicated computer is an old Dell Optiplex GX620 with a Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz, and 2 Go RAM, with a video card ATI FireMV 2200 128M.

My CNC is an old UPA1, by Micrelec/Mecacel, running with a LPT link.

Linux Mint 17 runs perfectly on this computer (I have a dual boot with WinXP Pro), and I really would like to work with it...

Best regards!
Nounours

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Sep 2014 15:21 - 10 Sep 2014 15:23 #50998 by cncbasher
Replied by cncbasher on topic Linux Mint 17
why do you not like 2.6 ?
2.6 will work on mint 17 , but you will have some package swapping etc and some knowledge of linux to do it , similar to installing on wheezy and on 32 bit not 64 , 2.5 i doubt it very much and never will .

all depends on how good you are with linux in general
dual boot is fraught with dangers , so beware , i don't recommend dual booting in this case
Last edit: 10 Sep 2014 15:23 by cncbasher.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MonAmiNounours

More
10 Sep 2014 16:44 #51003 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Linux Mint 17

]is it possible to install LinuxCNC 2.5 (I don't like 2.6)

Can I repeat cncbasher's question? What is it about 2.6 that you don't like? It doesn't do anything differently, and the same GUIs are all available.

The difference between 2.6 and 2.5 are just useful new features, nothing has changed in the look-and-feel.

More
10 Sep 2014 16:56 #51006 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic Linux Mint 17
Also, Mint is either based on Debian testing or Ubuntu 14.xx

Neither of those are directly supported, so you might need a fair bit of knowledge to get a realtime kernel working and depending upon the library versions etc
you might even have to build RTAI and Linuxcnc from sources. ( a lot of knowledge required)

You have quite a low power, older computer.

I run 2 of these quite happily on Debian Wheezy, for which there is an out of the box solution, 2.6 bundled with it in the form of the binary.hybrid.iso

If pretty icons and more bloat are important, you could go for Ubuntu 12.04 and still have an install path which just needs fetching packages to work.

Mint is not a distro so much as a make-over of established distros, so is never going to be directly supported.

regards

More
10 Sep 2014 18:05 #51010 by MonAmiNounours
Replied by MonAmiNounours on topic Linux Mint 17
Thanks for your fast answers! :woohoo:

Well... As I wrote, I'm a long-time Windows user. The Linux approach is very new for me, and Linux is very different of Windows, espacecially from what concerns a basic final user has to do.

I have several (old) computers (desktops, laptops, towers...) at home, and I have tested several Linux distros on them. I have always come back to Windows (please, don't cry yet!!! :laugh: ), but with Linux Mint, my opinion is changing radically.

The issue 17 Qiana Cinnamon is very pleasant, and I really would like to work with. And I prefer the Ubuntu-based version, rather than Debian-based one.

About the dual boot on my computer, I read with a great attention your answer above. I understand that my choice is not the best, and I will correct this! Thanks a lot for this.

From what is about the issue 2.6 of LinuxCNC vs 2.5, the problem does not concern directly the software. In fact, my problem is that it is not translated In french yet. I'm not used to work with very specialized english terms concerning milling and machining, machine settings, etc... The GUI is not a problem at all, and I'm sure that the new features will facilitate my future works.

In fact, I have never worked yet with my CNC (an UPA1), that I bought some months ago, waiting that someone can give an old computer (the GX620) to me, equipped with a LPT port. And I received this computer last week! Yeah!!! :woohoo:

So now, I have to set parameters corresponding to the UPA1 (from which I know... nothing! :P ) in a setting sheet of an english-version of a brand new software, all this in a new Linux environment!!! Life will be very easy!!!

To sum up:
- No dual boot XP/Linux is better,
- LinuxCNC 2.5 should not work on Mint 17, which is based on Ubuntu 14. Running 2.6 is better.
- if someone knows setting parameters for an UPA1... :P

Best regards and thank you again!!!
Nounours

More
10 Sep 2014 18:30 #51011 by ArcEye

To sum up:
- LinuxCNC 2.5 should not work on Mint 17, which is based on Ubuntu 14. Running 2.6 is better.

It does not matter whether you dual boot, what is on another partition has no effect on the running one.
The only condition is that XP must remain on the first partition, it will not run from anywhere else.

Linuxcnc is software, not a distro. 2.5 or 2.6 will run on any suitable linux distro, but Mint / Ubuntu 14.x is not one of them.

My advice, you are going to be using it to control a machine.
Put up with what you consider a less pretty and nice interface, and install an all in one solution from a CD image.

When you know your way around it, if it is still that important, you may have the knowlkedge to put it onto Mint

regards

More
10 Sep 2014 18:38 #51014 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Linux Mint 17

From what is about the issue 2.6 of LinuxCNC vs 2.5, the problem does not concern directly the software. In fact, my problem is that it is not translated In french yet.

The program itself should be translated at least as much in 2.6 as in 2.5.

The documentation may be a little behind, but for most purposes the 2.5 documentation will still be correct for 2.6.
The French documentation for 2.6 is here: www.linuxcnc.org/docs/html/index_fr.html

I see that some sections do not seem to be translated, particularly the big new 2.6 feature, remapping.

More
10 Sep 2014 21:40 #51030 by MonAmiNounours

To sum up:

It does not matter whether you dual boot, what is on another partition has no effect on the running one.
The only condition is that XP must remain on the first partition, it will not run from anywhere else.

This is the case. I have a 250Go, MAXTOR, SATA hard drive:
- 100Go for WInXP on partition 1;
- 100Go for Linux on partition 2;
- 50Go as swap.

Regards

More
10 Sep 2014 21:43 #51032 by MonAmiNounours

To sum up:
My advice, you are going to be using it to control a machine.
Put up with what you consider a less pretty and nice interface, and install an all in one solution from a CD image.

When you know your way around it, if it is still that important, you may have the knowlkedge to put it onto Mint

regards

Technically, this an excellent solution... even if less romantic!!!

I really don't like the Debian interface... :evil:

But you're right... This is "only" to control a machine.........

Regards

More
10 Sep 2014 21:45 #51033 by ArcEye

This is the case. I have a 250Go, MAXTOR, SATA hard drive:
- 100Go for WInXP on partition 1;
- 100Go for Linux on partition 2;
- 50Go as swap.

You only need a maximum of as much swap as you have memory really
5GB would be much more than you would ever need, use the other 45GB for something usefull

regards

Time to create page: 0.284 seconds