Debian vs Ubuntu

More
03 Sep 2014 17:33 #50676 by eslavko
Debian vs Ubuntu was created by eslavko
Hello...

What is performance of linuxcnc on bot systems... Ubuntu is mature for linuxcnc, but what Debian offer?
Didn't try yet...

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Sep 2014 19:56 #50683 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic Debian vs Ubuntu
Hi

It is not a question of performance, albeit the new 3.4.9-rtai kernel actually gives surprisingly good latency on this computer.

Ubuntu is based upon Debian, then they muck things around, add lots of bloat, graphical stuff etc.

What Debian has to offer is
1) Stability.
They don't play the version numbers game, releases are fewer and they make sure before release that it works properly.
Their installer program is fairly basic and unchanged for a while but it always works.

2) Support for hardware.
Ubuntu 10.04 is dead in the water. There will never be any updates for it, no new drivers, library versions etc
On top of the 3.4.9-rtai kernel that Seb has produced for Wheezy, Wheezy has more recent kernels, including a rt-prempt one and driver support for more recent hardware

Because they develop ahead long before the next release is due, you can often find drivers etc in the testing versions, that can be backported to the current version
(good example, the touchscreen calibration program that was required in another thread for ELO screens, was available in the sid repo)

Only way to find out is to try, just remember you can change anything you want, so you are not lumbered with a xfce window manager, that gets installed by default and I hate
Just remove it and put something you prefer in

regards

More
03 Oct 2014 03:34 #51739 by uli12us
Replied by uli12us on topic Debian vs Ubuntu
I have a strange issue with debian. First I have installed Ubuntu 10, and my computer runs with 2Ghz and have a latency in the range of 4500. But with debian it runs only with 1328 iirc and the latency is 7000. Ok, both should be quite good, but can I do anything against this, to get my 2Ghz back.

Time to create page: 0.222 seconds