Installing 2.7 questions

More
20 Aug 2014 05:09 #50079 by yoshimitsuspeed
I have searched a ton and have not found explicit instructions on how to do this.
I finally found the buildbot page with the 2.7 files.
From reading around though it also sounded like 2.7 was available in a repo or could be made available but I am unclear on this.
Is it already in the repo or do I need to add it? If so is it the buildbot page I need to add to the repo?
If so what exactly should I add to be best off?

It sounds like Debian Wheezy is the way to go so I will be trying that.
Again any details would be helpful. A quick search makes it sound like Wheezy comes standard with the real time kernal. Is this true and or is there anything I need to look for to make sure I get the right one?
I assume we need to stay with I386 for now right?

I am going to start playing around with this now but I always hate it when I spend 6 hours trying to figure somethign out only because I didn't have that one piece of information or something stupid like that.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Aug 2014 05:47 #50082 by yoshimitsuspeed
Okay I can't find anything that seems to say 100% that 7.6 is RT. I would assume it is but I am going to put this project on hold for now.

Also is there a stripped down version of debian? Looking at the download page it looks massive.

And finally would there be any downside to going with KDE?

More
20 Aug 2014 15:11 #50090 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic Installing 2.7 questions
Hi

First off, why do you want to run 2.7?
There is currently nothing in it of general use that is not in 2.6.2.

The 'master' should be named 'unstable' as the debian builds are. It is not the secret cache of riches denied to the masses, it is a development branch, which could be broken by the next commit.

If you use it, you are expected to support yourself or seek you answers from the developers mailing list, not here.

From reading around though it also sounded like 2.7 was available in a repo or could be made available but I am unclear on this.
Is it already in the repo or do I need to add it? If so is it the buildbot page I need to add to the repo?
If so what exactly should I add to be best off?

All the information is on the buildbot page
buildbot.linuxcnc.org/

Okay I can't find anything that seems to say 100% that 7.6 is RT

Debian Wheezy is NOT rt.
There is a rt-prempt kernel available for Wheezy, this will not run linuxcnc (unless you use Jeff Eplers experimental branch).
Linuxcnc uses rtai kernels.

Also is there a stripped down version of debian? Looking at the download page it looks massive.

Which download page?
The Linuxcnc distro is 1.1GB, which is small for a full install distro.

If you like you could download the Debian netinstall distro at 285MB, then spend and extra hour on top whilst it downloads the extra files and then set up Linuxcnc yourself on a bare debian install.

And finally would there be any downside to going with KDE?

Yes and the fact that you ask completely nullifies your last question.
You either want a stripped down system or complete bloatware with lots of pretty icons etc that takes 2 minutes to even start.

My advice, just install the www.linuxcnc.org/binary.hybrid.iso and try it

If for some reason later you want to try 2.7, you can build it a RIP and run it on the same machine

regards

More
21 Aug 2014 00:13 #50109 by yoshimitsuspeed

Hi

First off, why do you want to run 2.7?

Because in this thread I was told I should install 2.7.
If I don't have to then that would be great.
www.linuxcnc.org/index.php/english/forum...ning-fast-and-smooth

More
21 Aug 2014 02:57 #50115 by ArcEye
OK

That is about the only valid reason to do it, albeit it is not in 2.6 because there were still unsuspected interactions cropping up, so be aware you are a guinea pig.

All the information is on the buildbot page
buildbot.linuxcnc.org/

regards

More
21 Aug 2014 03:39 #50117 by yoshimitsuspeed
Okay thanks.
I have done a lot to get my machine running better in the software but it still lags doing some things.
Any idea when this feature might be in a stable release? I am tempted to just wait.

More
21 Aug 2014 13:32 #50130 by ArcEye
All you can do is follow its progress.

The worst case scenario is not for a few years if it has to wait for the next release.

Hopefully before then, you can always go back and review installing the master as a RIP
to evaluate it in a while when it seems complete.

regards

More
22 Aug 2014 14:55 #50174 by Todd Zuercher
Just try it. If it works for you, great. If it does work, don't necessarily install every update to it, since that next update may break it for you.

Time to create page: 0.287 seconds