Upgrade time, What do I need to know first?

More
01 Aug 2014 23:16 #49412 by tjamscad
One more problem, flash drive install not booting. Do I ned to create a bootable flash drive before loading the new ISO on it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Aug 2014 23:32 #49413 by ArcEye
I am not sure what you mean.

All you need to do is download the iso, burn it to DVD and install onto the new computer HDD

Not sure where the flashdrive comes in or what it is used for

More
02 Aug 2014 00:15 #49414 by tjamscad
I don't have DVDs or a DVD burner. I have a USB disk I can boot from if I can make it bootable.

More
02 Aug 2014 00:32 #49415 by ArcEye
That is probably why it all got screwed up last time.

You will have to research how to get the image onto a bootable USB stick or just buy a USB DVD drive, about £20 over here probably the same in $ over there

I never use USB installs, too slow and buggy, once you have bought the DVD drive, you will never have to either

The good news is that everything builds OK, just have to test it tomorrow

regards

More
02 Aug 2014 04:24 #49419 by tjamscad
The PC has been loaded and is ready to run.

More
02 Aug 2014 13:19 #49432 by ArcEye
It appears that the kinematics component will build OK outside the source tree.

If the components are the only changes and there are no undocumented patches within the rest of the code, that is very good news for you.

You will be able to dispense with RIP installs and run a normal user install, updating from deb packages as required and just re-building the components when necessary.

Fortunately the RIP is a cloned git repo rather than a tarball.
If code changes were made properly they will have been committed.
Even if they weren't, I should be able to track them.

Will find out later

regards

More
02 Aug 2014 18:58 - 02 Aug 2014 19:03 #49435 by ArcEye
OK

There were 2 additional python files in the source tree, which add to the vismach 3D generation
I have no idea if you use them, but have included them anyway.

I have now built all the custom kernel modules and userspace components that were in the RIP
I have tested them by loading them through halrun and they all load properly under the hybrid install
and have pins and params where they should do.

The attached debian package will install them to the Wheezy hybrid.iso install that you have done.
Install with sudo dpkg -i mmc-modules.deb from the dir where the package is.
The sources will be installed to /usr/src/mmc-sources for use later if you upgrade and need to re-build the modules

To run Linuxcnc, you need to move your configs into whichever home directory you use

Then start Linuxcnc from the menu and choose your config from the config chooser dialog
It should run, albeit I have no way of testing, the config is too complex to be turned into any sort of meaningful simulation.
If it does not run, it will probably be something in the config that needs changing, but we can worry about that at the time.

Thereafter you can create a shortcut on the screen if you prefer.

With no RIP install it should be a lot simpler to upgrade where required, but as 2.4~pre has served you well for a few years,
that may not be for a while :laugh:

regards

PS
It is called mmc-modules because I incorrectly recalled the name of your company, as I have now realised :(
Makes no odds, I won't bother renaming it.
Attachments:
Last edit: 02 Aug 2014 19:03 by ArcEye.

More
05 Aug 2014 04:47 #49506 by tjamscad

To run Linuxcnc, you need to move your configs into whichever home directory you use

I think I got it but haven had the chance to try it out yet. The configs from the google drive need put in the LinuxCNC directory? Which directory is common or the correct location ~/home/LinuxCNC?

You did the work and I appreciate it. You can call it what ever you want.

More
05 Aug 2014 13:06 #49513 by ArcEye

Which directory is common or the correct location ~/home/LinuxCNC?

It is whatever account your operators log into to run the machine
~/home/username/linuxcnc

Hopefully you have already created it when you installed, if not you need create that user first, then copy the files into the folder
('useradd username', then follow the prompts to set password)

regards

More
11 Aug 2014 20:04 #49689 by tjamscad
I have another question. I want to build one hard drive with all my machines configs and then have spare drives that I can just plug in a new machine if needed. I am running the Wheezy install and noticed I am still missing some components. I have two configs that are looking for gear4.comp but they are completely different machines and they cant possibly use the same comp file. How do i correctly do this?

Time to create page: 0.188 seconds