test vs. install ?

More
01 Jul 2014 04:54 #48349 by petert
test vs. install ? was created by petert
I have successfully created a bootable USB removable device with the downloaded image for 10.04 Lucid Lynx/LinuxCNC v2.5 (current), .
The old PC I want to use it on currently has Open SUSE as its operating system and I am not ready to abandon that.

I have booted Linux CNC in the Test mode. If I choose to Install it from the menu what happens to the Open SUSE and the existing file structure? Can I have both available ( not necessarily at the same time) on this machine?

Any suggestions for how to go about this will be appreciated.
Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jul 2014 15:04 #48359 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic test vs. install ?

I have booted Linux CNC in the Test mode. If I choose to Install it from the menu what happens to the Open SUSE and the existing file structure? Can I have both available ( not necessarily at the same time) on this machine?

If you have sufficient disk space, you can create a seperate partition and dual boot.

However if it is an old PC, you may not have the space?
It will take a roughly 2.4GB for Ubuntu with Linuxcnc with the normal apps, more if you include development stuff

I have successfully created a bootable USB removable device with the downloaded image for 10.04 Lucid Lynx/LinuxCNC v2.5 (current), .

If it is an old computer, you probably will get poor latency and should be using the 8.04 based CD and then upgrade Linuxcnc to the 2.5.4 version

See this FAQ, under the 'Which Kernel', heading for more info
www.linuxcnc.org/index.php/english/forum...me-latency-solutions

regards
The following user(s) said Thank You: petert

More
01 Jul 2014 22:02 #48367 by petert
Replied by petert on topic test vs. install ?
I have latency of 26000 - not terrific but probably ok for the application I have in mind.
Hard drive has 7.5 gig free from a total of 10.5 gig. I can certainly free up a lot more.

From your response I will look into the partition and dual boot.
In reality the out come will probably be that I just save files and documents and abandon the SUSE.

Thanks .

Time to create page: 0.103 seconds