Problem with installation

More
24 Jun 2014 20:49 #48223 by tollyaj
Hello everyone, I am new to Linux and have done something incorrectly in my attempt to install LinuxCNC. I have installed the standard distribution of Ubuntu 10.04 on an old PC. For now, I have it installed alongside the Windows XP Professional that was originally installed on the system. After successfully installing Ubuntu, I downloaded the linuxcnc-install.sh for Ubuntu 10.04 and attempted to run it in terminal according to the installation instructions. The terminal runs through the install processes and then closes itself out upon completion. After performing this action, I can't seem to find LinuxCNC in the Applications drop-down as I expected (even after a reboot). Any advice on where I might have gone wrong? I have tried the same procedure a couple of times and once the terminal did not close itself out but rather ended with a screen saying something about "TrueType Font". At this point the only action I could take was to close the terminal window. I should have taken a screenshot because I haven't been able to recreate that outcome. Let me know if I can provide more information about my scenario. Thank you very much for your time in helping me troubleshoot this issue.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jun 2014 21:59 #48226 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic Problem with installation

I have installed the standard distribution of Ubuntu 10.04 on an old PC.

Why?

If you are new to Linux just simplify it all for yourself. Download the iso of Linuxcnc preloaded into Ubuntu 10.04 (on the home page). Burn it to CD as you presumably have already done sucessfully with the stock 10.04 and install it, overwriting your existing Ubuntiu partition.

Those instructions you followed are a bit out of date and require all sorts of libraries to be downloaded to build Linuxcnc from sources.
If you install from CD it is all done for you

regards

More
24 Jun 2014 23:02 #48230 by tollyaj
Replied by tollyaj on topic Problem with installation
Thank you very much for the response. I will give this a try and see if it fixes my problem.

Time to create page: 0.073 seconds